Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Damn, that sounds lame.
    I did update Win 10 yesterday as well and I've noticed today that now switching from one audio source to another (the 2.1 speakers connected to the monitor passing audio through the DisplayPort and the headphones connected to the audio onboard) sometime does not work at all and the audio stay put in one of the two sources even if the other is selected... Windows own new bug?

A friend just posted on FB that the update bricked his work machine.

Junior Potato
    Since I’ve owned an iPad (finally got one in Sept ‘17) I’ve hardly had a need to turn on my laptop. It’s mediocre for gaming these days and it’s 17” form factor is a massive chore to haul around the place. The iPad just does everything that the laptop used to do and it’s so much more user friendly.

So with that, turning it on and seeing what surprises Win 10 has in store for me is almost an act of closing my eyes and shielding my face when I poke at the power button. The stores above remind me of what happened when the creators update came through; it almost ruined all of the carefully chosen settings I’d put in for audio and video output.

The last time I turned it on was a fortnight ago and I wanted to quickly do something before shutting down again. It took the damn thing 30 minutes to background install a bunch of updates, all the while hogging CPU and HDD recourses and limiting my ability to do anything.

Lately in my world, Excel doesn't seem to work without an internet connection. Not a huge deal, but noticeable when our internet went down at work and nobody could use Excel until it came back.

I can no longer save Excel macros to my Personal.xlsx file. I can't even find my Personal.xlsx file anymore - it's not longer waiting to be unhidden from any workbook. Macros seem to be able to be saved within specific workbooks only now, rather than available at all times while using Excel - which is worthless to me.

Windows, Outlook, and Excel seem to have more pop-ups asking "Are You Sure? This Could Be Dangerous! Run Away!" to click through before doing normal things like editing or printing a document, or dragging an attached file from Outlook to my desktop. There were always one or two, but it seems like now I spend far more time clicking "Yes, Let Me Do That, Dammit!" than ever before.

Both at work and at home on different PCs, Windows Media Player no longer finds album information when ripping audio CDs - automatically, as it always used to, or manually with the "Find Album Info" command. I guess we have to add the name of the album, the artist, and all the tracks manually now. Come to think of it, that's not so bad, but I guess I just got spoiled by not having to do that for so long.

Well I found a solution online. It feels like the sound is off but at least I have sound again.

Administrator
    I've had one freeze and one blue screen since the update. Never had either of those with Windows 10 before. Otherwise, though, I appear to be unscathed, and it's hard to tell if it's Windows 10 or the flurry of nvidia updates.

fwiw my work around has issues with Chrome. It'll play sound but only to whichever tab i play sound from first.

fwiw my work around has issues with Chrome. It'll play sound but only to whichever tab i play sound from first.

I have switched to another solution. The sound isn't quite as good but at least i dont have to reopen and close Chrome constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Both at work and at home on different PCs, Windows Media Player no longer finds album information when ripping audio CDs - automatically, as it always used to, or manually with the "Find Album Info" command. I guess we have to add the name of the album, the artist, and all the tracks manually now. Come to think of it, that's not so bad, but I guess I just got spoiled by not having to do that for so long.
    You can always use a free program to rip CDs which gets the info from FreeDB. I used to use CDEx but switched to another one which name currently escapes me.

Administrator
    Last time I tried CDEx it had become a malware-infested monstrosity that required rolling back to a restore point after I installed it. I've had good luck with WMP lately, though I haven't used it for a few months.