Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

This is not very important, but I'm curious about something in Windows 10.

I carry a laptop back and forth from my office to my home. In both places, I have a docking station (the same kind) and two 24" monitors. The monitors are two identical Dells at work and at home there's another similar Dell and something else - maybe a Samsung. I can check later when I'm home if it's relevant.

Sometimes I don't Shut Down the laptop before moving it. Sometimes I'll just select Sleep, such as when I get up early at home, work for a while, and then go to the office later in the morning. By then I'll have a bunch of windows open and don't want to have to start over and open everything up again.

And, I'm a creature of habit. I like my windows set up in the same order all the time - Outlook over here, accounting software here and here (two sessions running), my "to do" folder up in one specific corner, Windows Media Player down in another corner, etc.

Sometimes, but not always, when I wake up my laptop on the other docking stations, my windows will be reversed. What had been on the left monitor is now on the right and vice-versa, and in the same locations. If I had Outlook in the lower left corner of the right monitor, it will be in the lower left corner of the left monitor, and so forth. They aren't randomly placed, but in the same locations on the other screen.

I tried switching the monitor cables where they connect to one of the docking stations, but that didn't change anything. And I know how to get to the Display control panel when you can change Monitor 1 to Monitor 2 and so forth. While trying that again today, I realized something: my open windows sometimes switch monitors but the desktop icons always stay in the same places - they don't switch sides like the windows sometimes do.

Is this just something I have to live with (which is fine if so), or is there a setting somewhere that will keep everything where it was when the laptop went to sleep?

Edited to add: I almost never open the laptop. I plug it into one docking station, closed, and then put it to sleep and move it, still closed, to the next location. Then I pull it out of my bag and plug it in again, having never opened the lid. I mention that because obviously the windows change when switching from two monitors to one. I generally don't do that.
    Last edited by George; October 2nd, 2020 at 10:40 AM.

Only think I can think of is "Make this my main display" is/isn't checked off.

Unrelated : MS has made installing 10 by far the easiest Windows install: took about 20 minutes and I only my attention for about 2 minutes.
    I still like(d) Win7 and XP more, but 10 is pretty damn good.

Interesting, I just started having a kinda similar issue, and was looking it up before coming back to the forum.

My work laptop is plugged into a dock with 2 monitors. I use the laptop screen and the monitors together. Recently it started reverting to moving all windows to the laptop screen after sleep. It hadn't done that before. My work settings apparently have disabled windows updates (still on 1803), so I don't think it went through an update.

I found something about uninstalling unused monitors from device manager. We'll see next time if that works. You may want to try the same. Disconnect the monitors from the dock, and then delete all grayed out monitors from Device manager (with hidden devices shown). Then plug the monitors in the same order on both docks?

How do I shut this shit off?

garbage.jpg

Edit: Seems the forum shrunk the image so that it is illegible. When I click on the search field, it gives me garbage suggestions that I do not want.

Administrator
    I know you've gotta be able to change it, because I don't have that on mine. Having a heck of a time trying to find the setting, though. Maybe this'd work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-19311eef831a

search.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 8th, 2021 at 04:09 PM.

Junior Potato
    Yeah... Windows 10 is thick with 'helpful' connections to the outside world. In the cybersecurity industry it's called surface area: the more openings they provide for connection, the more surface area is available for potential weaknesses.

You will want to turn off as many of these as you can. I did that as much as I could when I first built this PC.

Here's what mine looks like.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Got a new box and it'd really make me more comfortable if I could have my old wallpaper. How can I find out where it is located? I thought it was a OE image but it's not in the C:\Windows\Web folder.

Edit: Also, I play an old game (railroad tycoon 2) whose native aspect ratio is squared, but in the old machine, it is stretched to fit the 1920x1080 display, in the new one it keeps its aspect but with two black bars on the side... how can i make it stretch?
    Last edited by FaultyMario; March 13th, 2021 at 09:42 AM.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I've had a fucking good Saturday afternoon.

I downloaded a pair of mod cars for Assetto Corsa and soon after that my computer completely failed to be able to launch any games, and Steam (which is installed on the same drive as my games) totally failed to function. I did the usual virus checks on my games SSD, and the cars came from Google Drive so they all get a virus check before the service even lets you download them.

Additional to this certain Windows functions like Disk Management were hesitant to work, requiring a restart if I tried to test out a game. I couldn't even repair the install of Steam with a fresh download.

I have no idea what the root cause is so basically I have had to format the SSD and begin reinstalling everything. Luckily it only had games on it so it was easy to wipe everything, although it means I have lost all the AC mods I have collected... but really that 199GB of cars and tracks I will never drive on is no great loss. All my savegames and configs are in the My Documents folder on C drive.

I've reinstalled Steam, iRacing, MSFS, and a handful of games I have been playing lately, although MSFS needs a 150GB update which I am in no real hurry to get right now.

Junior Potato
    Why the fuck does Windows do dumb shit, and you have to go searching multiple websites for answers for simple problems?

Today’s problem:

All my desktop icons are rectangles and they’re spread out all over my desktop.

The apparent solution:

Go into regedit and manually change the X/Y icon spacing to -1125.

Observation:

Icon spacing was already at -1125

Actual solution:

Restart my computer. Icons are in their normal configuration.

Jackie Chan.jpg

Administrator
    That's a new one for me.

The only stupid things I get on the regular from Windows 10 are that every time I update my graphics drivers all my browsers lose GPU acceleration and I have to reboot (though before Windows 10 I had to reboot when updating graphics drivers anyway), and that stupid Teredo network thing for XBox Live gaming constantly gets messed up. It almost always gets fixed by me hitting the little "repair" link or whatever it is, but then I wonder why it can't just do that on its own and not make me click on it each time.