Page 120 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1432

Thread: What are you listening to?

My understanding is he became quite the outspoken right-winger in recent years/decades, and I don't want to stir up trouble at this forum for that, but I just heard Charlie Daniels has died. He is of my parents' generation and I am sad to keep saying goodbye to people who were lucky enough to live into their eighties.

I remember when "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" was THE hit song of the summer of 1979, before the ELO song "Don't Bring Me Down" knocked it out of the number one position on Kasey Casem's Top 40 Countown.

Let's all toke on a number in memory of Charlie Daniels today.

Why didn't anyone tell me about The Surfrajettes before now?

For more surf music, check out http://surfrockradio.com/

A new song from Neil Young:

Hammer Time! Sanitize!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    A new song from Neil Young:
    When you posted this I initially thought it was going to be a track from his Homegrown record which came out like a month ago having been originally recorded in '74. It's a really good listen if you like that era of Neil's work (Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Zuma, etc.).
    Related, I just ran across this video after first seeing it a few years ago which combines a shocking amount of my interests - Dinosaur Jr. covering Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" with Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo singing.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    ...his Homegrown record which came out like a month ago having been originally recorded in '74. It's a really good listen if you like that era of Neil's work (Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Zuma, etc.).
    Thanks for mentioning this, Josh. I'm listening to the album on YT now. It is excellent. "Florida" was interesting. I'll probably pick up the CD if I see it while surfing the stacks of wax at the few but very good record/CD shops around here. I haven't done that for a few months for obvious reasons, although I did buy his Hitchhiker a while back. That might have been the same trip in which I found Re-ac-tor for the first time. That album made my wife and kids yell at me to turn down the stereo. I've been a Neil fan forever, but he has released so many albums that I'm always stumbling upon ones that are new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The songs on the [Hitchhiker] album were recorded in a single night....Young described the session, "It was a complete piece, although I was pretty stony on it, and you can hear it in my performances... I laid down all the songs in a row, pausing only for weed, beer, or coke.
    We can't have "Cortez" without "Powderfinger", can we?

I wonder if Neil stole this opening riff from Blackfoot. Or maybe they stole it from him but got it on a record two years before he did. Maybe they toured together. Maybe they jammed together "late at night when the people were gone". Who knows.

Neil Young fans might like this Drive-By Truckers rock song history lesson about that includes a story about "Powderfinger", among other things.

This just came up on my playlist ...

Wow, that brings back some memories. That is one kickass rock song!

Now I'm listening to high-energy rock instead of going in the other direction, as one ought to on a Friday night after a long week.

Last edited by George; August 14th, 2020 at 06:52 PM.

Some of this may seem a little cheesy by today's standards, but for 1978, I bet this live version of a Camaro drivin', moustache & mullet wearin' 1970s rock "standard" was as good as anything you could see on a rock stage.

What first caught my ear is what sounds like a loose cover of Zeppelin's "In My Time Of Dying" from about 0:25 to 2:12. Then the usual into to "Bad Motor Scooter" starts. But wait, there's more! A lot more...about fifteen minutes more, and it's worth watching if you like this era and style.

And now here's some Led for your head, as the DJs used to say.

Yes, it's true. I have become Homer Simpson.

Last edited by George; August 20th, 2020 at 03:17 PM.

Can’t get enough of the remix of the song “Roses” by SAINt JHN. It’s all over the radio. People are calling it the TikTok song. Don’t know why. Too lazy to look it up.