Page 121 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1432

Thread: What are you listening to?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Looking around for some post-hardcore and brass combo I ran into The Cancer Conspiracy.

I wish there were videos of them live.

Please leave a comment.
    acket.

Oh, no you don't!

You can't change the subject until we solve this mystery:

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Ye olde timers might now: One-album wonder blues band from members who went to form other influential bands. Released in 1968 or 1971, recently reissued. British, I think. Really short name. I think the album sleeve was red.

RIP Eddie.

Junior Potato
    Not to take the attention away from dead cunts, but in a cosmic coincidence AC/DC released a new single today called Shot in the Dark.

It sounds just like Back in Black from the 90s.

Most of the band is either geriatric or demented, yet they still pump out fresh choons like they’d just slammed a fat line of Charlie and the oldest hookers have slithered out of the green room.

I don’t know what the future holds but if they tour… THIS TIME I will not miss it.

At the risk of being pedantic, Back In Black came out in 1980.

I think fans of bands like AC/DC and ZZ Top are perfectly happy with new albums that sound just like the old albums. And I don't mean that as an insult, but I've long thought those two bands in particular just keep churning out the same work over and over...sort of like novelist Lee Child.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Looking around for some post-hardcore and brass combo I ran into The Cancer Conspiracy.

I wish there were videos of them live.

Please leave a comment.
    I've listened to this twice now on different days. Good stuff. It reminds me of Rush.

Hey, glad you liked it.

I needed some inspiration for a couple of writing exercises, and I wanted to find, like a rock thing, but that it also had some strings in the mix... you know, like that part of the Nirvana Unplugged but more organic. I kept falling into Warren Ellis and I thought, yeah, but I really want to steer away from Nick Cave, and with Warren it almost always sounds like Nick's baritone growl is about to explode... so no Dirty Three or Two Suits (his project with Flea) for me... so anyway, I then found out that Warren Ellis was also responsible for The Road soundtrack, so that was a bigger rejection, because I didn't want the writing to make you think of McCarthy.

And then I thought, how about some rich dude music? and me not being too much into chamber or symphonic music I went to my usual search for turn-of-the-century Central European composers... and you know what? I scored! I'd never heard of Leos Janacek but man, that guy rocks! He's like the Ian MacKaye of Opera!, the Bob Mould of string quartets! Seriously though, check him out, his music is completely visual.

acket.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Oh, no you don't!

You can't change the subject until we solve this mystery:
    I think it might be Tom Nehls' I Always Catch the Third Second of a Yellow Light. Originally released in '73, it was reissued on vinyl last year.

This is what the Amazon.com snippet says:

A rock concept album, as progressive as it is psychedelic, recorded by a 17-year-old Tom Nehls and his high school friends in Minneapolis over a three-month period in late 1972. Nehls original notes describe his influences: The Beatles, Zappa, Tolkien. But that amalgamation cannot prepare you for the depths that this wunderkind explored with first-time engineer Paul Stark, who would later co-found Twin/Tone Records and sign and develop punk legends The Replacements and dozens of other bands. Stark privately-pressed 1000 copies of I Always Catch The Third Second Of A Yellow Light and gave them to Nehls, who hand glued photo copied artwork on the front and back cover of the album and tried to sell copies to his high school friends. Shortly thereafter, 900 copies were destroyed when his parents basement flooded, Nehls went off to college, and his masterpiece was left, undiscovered and unappreciated, until fringe vinyl collectors in the early 1990s found and shared a handful of copies. Nehls album has gone on to be a welcome addition to the genre Paul Major called Real People Music; a wonderful and sincere exploration of the human predicament that reveals more of itself with each listen. Mastered from a flat transfer of Stark s original master tapes, this is the best that this album has ever sounded.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; October 9th, 2020 at 11:46 AM.
    acket.

So google music is shutting down. I've been using that service since its beta in 2011 in order to be able to stream and easily catalog all my ripped mp3s and flacs, as well as to actually purchase a few things.
    Anyway, as it is shutting down, I don't necessarily trust its descendant(? inheritor?) youtube music to be actually keep all my stuff and make it useable* so I decided to take them up on their offer to download all of my stored music**. Turns out, they do this by zipping all your music into 2 gig chunks and providing you with download links to said chunks. What I didn't quite realize was that "Boy, something like two decades of digital music files adds up over time!" So, I'm currently getting .zips 35-40 out of 107 downloaded. It's gonna be awhile.
    I will give youtube music a shot, but really didn't want to risk losing some of this stuff which would be hard-to-impossible to replace.

*I've got piles of bootlegs and live shows and unreleased material by bands gmusic has never heard of, but I could easily keep track of it by manually inputting the info.
    **I lost a lot of my 'original' digital copies of things with storage failures over the years, and I'm not even close to motivated to sort through what I've got on a hard drive vs what gmusic has.
    -Formerly Stabulator