Page 113 of 144 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1432

Thread: What are you listening to?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Ye olde timers might now: One-album wonder blues band from members who went to form other influential bands. Released in 1968 or 1971, recently reissued. British, I think. Really short name. I think the album sleeve was red.
    acket.

No clue, but I'd be interested if you figure it out.

A couple of wild (and almost certainly incorrect) guesses, going mostly from the short name clue.

Them
    Free

Wait, it couldn't be the New Yardbirds, could it? Long name, but those guys went on to become fairly influential, in some circles anyway...

Nah, surely not.

Now I'm very curious about this.

I got to thinking about British blues from that era some more and the name Alexis Korner popped into my head. I figured searching for him might lead to something. His wikipedia page led me to CCS, which stood for Collective Consciousness Society.

If nothing else, this track is mighty cool! This is all new to me. There's a horn (sax?) riff in this recording at 2:15 that reminds me of a Fat Boy Slim song, and the flautist sure sounds like Ian Anderson - but maybe all flute players sounds like that. Listen to the whole thing if you have time - there's a lot going on here and it's not all repetitive.

Administrator
    People have repeatedly told me about Sunn O))). I have kept meaning to check them out, and then saw a Spotify link to an album and listened to it.

I did not know much about Sunn O))) going into listening to Pyroclasts, and I did not know anything about the album going into it.

I gather now that this is not what they normally do. It's tons of droning, almost like the sounds a guitar makes with tons of gain while it just sits there, the natural result of vibrations around it amplified.

It's obnoxiously contrived and I'm really mad at myself for thinking it sounds fucking awesome. I need to listen to more of their stuff.

Also entertaining, Spotify cutting in before the fourth and final track to tell me all about their new hits Fridays brought to you by Target, with all the hottest new music followed by some howling feedback.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; November 2nd, 2019 at 10:59 PM.

Administrator
    Listened to more Sunn O))). I owe everyone who told me to listen to them an apology. It's so pretentious and bonkers and I hate and love it.

I gathered as much from the name.

Administrator
    I know, right? Everything about it is obnoxious. But it also sounds like black metal being played through a poltergeist's Marshall stack.

Administrator
    Michele and I are getting ourselves unreasonably amped for the company holiday party (yes, I know it's stupidly early) by listening to Minor Threat and Fugazi. I don't know if there's ever been a better punk voice than Ian MacKaye.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sunn O)))
    Gee, I wonder where they got their name?

Pardon me if everyone knows this already. I would call Sunn an obscure amplifier brand compared to industry giants like Marshall, Fender, Peavey, etc. so I thought some might not have seen the Sunn O))) logo before.