Page 119 of 144 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1432

Thread: What are you listening to?

Part of my last session involved me off on my own digging test units of 1m*1m*1.5m, so I took a bluetooth speaker and jammed out to the music on my phone. Things that got play:
    Mezzanine & Heligoland by Massive Attack

Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan

Goo & Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Stand in the Fire by Warren Zevon

All Nerve & Last Splash by the Breeders

Arc/Weld by Neil Young and Crazy Horse

You're Living All Over Me and Green Mind by Dinosaur Jr.

Welcome to the Blackout (Live London 1978) by David Bowie

Stoner Witch and Houdini by the Melvins

Tim & Let It Be by The Replacements
    -Formerly Stabulator

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    How do you [old skool] kids carry your music around these days?

I feel that my phone is too valuable (the info contained within) to carry it in a backpocket if i'm gonna be doing exercise, plus, part of having music on while being out with your thoughts is not getting distracted by beeps and flashing lights, right?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario
    How do you [old skool] kids carry your music around these days?
    Standalone mp3 players. I have a 4 GB Sansa Fuze that I bought in 2009 (I think) that still works. I also have a newer and smaller 16 GB SanDisk Clip that I use almost daily to listen to music and audiobooks. These days I'm no longer train commuting, so it's usually in my car now that I have one new enough to have an auxiliary input. My wife has a newer SanDisk Clip that has bluetooth in addition to the regular headphone jack.

I've heard people complaining about iTunes for so many years now so I've never even attempted to try it.

The only drawback to mp3 players compared iTunes (that I know of) is you have to copy CDs to your PC first and then to the mp3 player. Of course you can also download audio from the internet from sites such as archive.org and librivox.org and drag and drop those files to the mp3 player also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk_Sansa

Funny you should mention that, I was eyeing an 8GB Clip the other day.
    acket.

I keep an old version of iTunes on my Win desktop. I find it a really neat way to manage your music library at home, but because of its proprietary stuff about portable players I used to make a playlist, export it, open it in bulletproof old winamp and send it to my iCheapo player from there.

It was actually 5 or 6 clicks to do that workaround.

The thmbplayer has since died and I have moved my music to a new drive, so my old iTunes library was wiped clean. That's the reason why I'm asking. I'm starting over.
    acket.

I only have three minor complaints about my newer (and still currently on the market, I think) Sandisk Clip mp3 player:

1. The plastic screen is soft and will scratch if you throw it in your backpack with a bunch of other stuff. It's backlit, so I haven't noticed any difficulty in reading the screen, but it's worth mentioning.

2. The sping-loaded clip will break over time if you throw it in your backpack with a bunch of other stuff. I don't clip it to anything, so when the clip on the back of mine cracked and then finally broke away, I didn't mind. It's even smaller now. I believe it cracked from being in contact with other things in a bag and not from actually using the clip itself.

3. The printing will wear off the buttons over time.

I took them out in the sun to try to show the scratching on the screen of the one in the middle. I recommend wrapping it in a small towel or something if you're going to throw it in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff.

Just for grins, I turned the oldest one on its side to show the wear on both the cloth case and the painted metal around the On/Off button. I used it for many years before my family gave me a newer one for Christmas a couple/few years ago. I'd still be using it if they hadn't, but I admit I prefer 16 GB to 4 GB. I can load a bunch of music and audiobooks and not have to change anything for longer periods of time. The old one has a metal housing and a wheel that spins and pushes in, but the newer two seem to be entirely plastic except for the metal spring under the clip and have push buttons instead of the wheel.

That gives me an idea. I'm going to try to find a Sony IC recorder. They were pretty sturdy (some parts were even light metal, I think), they're compatible with a bunch of lossy formats and they take SD cards.
    acket.

I have a 120GB iPod and I have to install old versions of iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I only have three minor complaints about my newer (and still currently on the market, I think) Sandisk Clip mp3 player:

1. The plastic screen is soft and will scratch if you throw it in your backpack with a bunch of other stuff. It's backlit, so I haven't noticed any difficulty in reading the screen, but it's worth mentioning.

2. The sping-loaded clip will break over time if you throw it in your backpack with a bunch of other stuff. I don't clip it to anything, so when the clip on the back of mine cracked and then finally broke away, I didn't mind. It's even smaller now. I believe it cracked from being in contact with other things in a bag and not from actually using the clip itself.

3. The printing will wear off the buttons over time.

I took them out in the sun to try to show the scratching on the screen of the one in the middle. I recommend wrapping it in a small towel or something if you're going to throw it in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff.

Just for grins, I turned the oldest one on its side to show the wear on both the cloth case and the painted metal around the On/Off button. I used it for many years before my family gave me a newer one for Christmas a couple/few years ago. I'd still be using it if they hadn't, but I admit I prefer 16 GB to 4 GB. I can load a bunch of music and audiobooks and not have to change anything for longer periods of time. The old one has a metal housing and a wheel that spins and pushes in, but the newer two seem to be entirely plastic except for the metal spring under the clip and have push buttons instead of the wheel.
    I use Postes Canada Post bubble mailers of the appropriate size to keep all such devices in before putting them anywhere else. E.g. in cycling jersey back pockets.

They are pretty cheap to buy, and generally last a long time. (Assuming US Postal outlets have something similar).

The old manila ones used to wear out in a couple of years, but the new ones made of some sort of white plasticized paper seem very durable.

Abolition of the Royal Familia sure sounds like some of the best music I've listened in the last few years.
    acket.