Page 66 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

I haven't had a clear day at home with good weather to come back to the vinyl yet, but will update when the time comes.

I did get a chance to come back to the tire wear thing and check tire temps after nearly 2 hours of highway driving. With the probe, it showed 110F on the inside edges of the front tires, going down to about 85 on the outsides. Didn't seem particularly high to me. I checked the rears, too, and they were 105F on the inside.

It would stand to reason the increased tire wear is related to temperature, but this is suggesting temperatures are normal and in line with the camber of the car (-3.5 front, -2.8 rear, roughly).

Also, tire testing is very interesting (and fun! Who doesn't like pounding around on other people's tires?). Nexen invited me to try some experimental stuff and give detailed feedback. Look for an article in SportsCar magazine in the not too distant future.

That is an interesting discovery. I never checked tire temps on the Fiero because it was obviously an alignment problem... which an alignment cured. Is it possible under heavy use that differential/wear grows? Maybe something that isn't a problem on the street but becomes a problem quickly when pushed?

Also, if you ever run into excess tire testing requirements, you know who to call.

I can't imagine a scenario where inside shoulder wear increases as the tire is pushed. The car stops too well for it to be only using the inner edge of the front tires under braking...

Blue car got the spray wax treatment now too. Now you can see the flake in the paint.

Oh, never updated on the alignment of the silver car. Took it to my nearest Big O in Madera for a free check. It was off, as I suspected. Their alignment was cheaper than my local Sears too. It drove great on the way home. Then I put a different set of wheels/tires on the car and the steering is way off. Strange happenings abound.

That sounds like worn bits - maybe balljoints or tie rods.

The car has had some play in the left front tie rod for ages. First time I've noticed this off-center steering with different tires. It's also the first time I've used these particular tires on the car.

It's completely nuts - I could swear I change wheels and/or tires on a bi weekly basis these days. It's a fricken revolving door of 350Z rolling stock around here.

P.S. - The Saab wagon in the photo above was left in there for you, Justin.

I'm sure the Tire Rack stickers all over autocrossing windshields is not a coincidence.

Part of me laments the fact that I'm sure Goodyear has little to no presence in that enthusiast market (I have no actual knowledge past their disinterest in racing outside of stock cars). GET BACK ON THE HORSE AND BRING PRIDE TO OHIO!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    P.S. - The Saab wagon in the photo above was left in there for you, Justin.
    Honestly, I was too busy staring at the Z to notice. IT'S SO PRETTY!!!!

I would have figured you could spot a Saab a mile away in a dark corner.

Keith, Goodyear owns Dunlop (more or less) and Dunlop has had some players in this market for some years.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
    Get that weak shit off my track

Tirerack is the title sponsor of SCCA national-level autocrossing. If you participate in an SCCA national-level autocross, you run their windshield banner (or sticker, for cars not equipped with windshields).
    Whoomah!