Page 65 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

I hate engineers who do that.

I tried a spray wax yesterday morning. Very impressed so far. It's much faster than traditional waxing, and cheaper, and the results are better than I expected on the silver 350Z. It hadn't been properly detailed since we've had it - just a light hand polish and a seal probably a year ago, so basically no protection anymore since it sits outside most of the time. That means plenty of contaminants on the paint and light swirls, so far from the ideal surface to apply a wax.

I used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax. Pleasant surprise is how it looks - it's only one car and I haven't done an A/B test but this appears to have more of a carnauba glow/rich look than a glassy sealant look to my eyes. They say you can use this stuff on glass and it has a Rain-X effect, too. I've done that but it has yet to rain to test its effectiveness.

It's hard to capture the details of the look in photos but trust me, it's a big improvement.

It'll be a good maintenance wax to keep some protection going on. It takes 10 minutes with this stuff so no excuses for not doing it now!

I'll still properly correct/detail the car this winter or spring though.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Places like Big O will check it for free. At least you could find out if that's the problem or something else.
    Missed this before. I did not know that. I'm fairly certain my feeling is right, that the alignment is off, so I'd probably end up paying for one anyway.

That wax does look good - I think I will give it a go on the Benz when I'm down in SoCal over T-Day!

Sharp!!

Now the ugly side.

Any tips for removing dried up old vinyl? The blue part of the replica Nismo stripe has been flaking off recently. I went to remove the whole thing today. Normally, you get a fingernail under a corner to start it and peel back from there. No problem. Maybe clean up a little adhesive residue after.

This blue stripe is so dried up I only get a tiny tiny piece to flake off at a time. After an hour I hadn't even gotten an inch of it off, and I have about 10 feet to do. Hoping there's a better way without damaging the finish beneath! If this was on glass it'd be easy... Goof Off and a razor blade.

I got nothing. I have a similar problem with old tape on the SPG, and I have tried everything I can think of. If you find an answer, please share with the group.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Astro-Pneum...lYzRoCYT7w_wcB

Used this a bunch. Works great.

I would chuck it in to a regular cordless drill on the low speed. You might follow up with some light hand polish and wax afterwords

I just learned about plastic razor blades. I'm going to go pick one up and try it tomorrow with steam, or Goo Gone. Then if that doesn't do it, might have to resort to this drill attachment... sounds scary.

I'll be doing a proper machine polish on the car some time after the stripes are removed anyway. It's going to look so boring.

Don't waste your time with the plastic razorblade. Serious.

That eraser is safe on metal backed paint. Do nkt use it on anything plastic backed. Like bumper covers etc. It will take paint and primer with it.

I promise you it is completely safe.