Page 90 of 139 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Early traction control was just brakes, so any car with ABS could potentially have TCS. There was a company in... somewhere that made a module to plug into Bosch and ATE ABS systems to retrofit TCS. It was kinda cool.

Electronic throttle actuators were the game changer that made actual stability control possible. TCS is really limited to wheel spin, ESP et al is what helps with car spin.
    The E36es had a second TB that the computer controlled.
    Whoomah!

Neat. So at first thought I think using brakes for TC is a better idea than killing the damn engine for two seconds when a hint of wheelspin is detected. Looking at you, 350Z.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Aww damn, I was hoping you were gonna take a Supra TT to Nationals and show people what time it (still) is! </3

*So* looking forward to the pics of everything!
    Throw on some meaty Hoosiers and go run down some Corvettes in SSR? That would be an entertaining exercise in futility!

I didn't know you were such a MKIV fan, Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I was unaware they had TCS, as distinct from ABS.
    From what I'm reading, SN95/New Edge Mustangs "Traction Control" it pulls timing from the motor and pulses the rear brakes. #shrug

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I didn't know you were such a MKIV fan, Carlo.
    Yup, longtime fan -- my Pops almost bought one back in '94 when they first came Stateside. I lobbied hard... but he flaked out and bought a Subaru SVX instead. #badtaste

Everyone else here just thinks of them as Japanese Camaros.

My Corvette has brake and throttle actuated TCS ...

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Throw on some meaty Hoosiers and go run down some Corvettes in SSR?
    Man, I read that as "you could run down some Corvettes in an SSR" and WTFed.

Autox classing reference. Short version: they took our Hoosiers away from Stock class and now it's called Street class. Corvettes and 911s and Elises and stuff used to run in Super Stock. Now it's Super Street R (SSR) with the R thrown in for Race tire, I guess, even though they're still required to be DOT-legal tires. And as part of the rules shift, basically you can throw Hoosiers on anything you want now and it's SSR legal (as long as the car is not too fast to be classified in Street to begin with). Logical right?

-

Today's Supra findings:

1) there's a big split hidden in a groove in the inlet hose from air filter to turbo piping. Unfiltered air is no bueno. No more driving/testing until the new part arrives. Typically Toyota, a large diameter rubber hose about a foot long is over $100.

2) ECU codes are 42 (speed sensor signal) and 71 (EGR). 42 is apparently common on higher mileage Supras and often is a result of bad cold solder joints inside the electronic odometer which intercepts speed sensor signal from the tranny. Strange stuff. It typically doesn't affect driveability in MT cars, but eventually the odo stops working. Strange that cold solder problems seem to be an issue in the MKIV Supra (this isn't the only trouble spot). This isn't something Toyota is known for to my knowledge.

I have yet to research the EGR issue.

3) I see now that TC is at least partially throttle controlled. I noticed what I'm going to call a pre throttle body with its own TPS on it and a motor as well.

4) When I was cleaning the engine I noticed a concentration of oily gunk on and around the Air Bypass Valve. Hoping it's tiny seepage over time and there won't be much oil in the piping. Oil level is full at the moment, will keep an eye out.

Be happy that hose is still available - plenty of cars from the '90s wouldn't be so lucky! It's very interesting that the speedometer does signal conversion - that was pretty commonplace in the '80s and maybe the early '90s as it made sense electronically... weird to find it on a later car. Especially an expensive later car! Maybe some sort of compromise for a low-volume car? I would not be at all surprised to find most of the intake coated with oil. On any turbo car of that age with any real mileage it's pretty much expected. Nothing to worry about... except that it does slowly degrade rubber and plastic.

Supposedly the intake hose is available. Fingers are crossed.

A coating of oil on an older car I could see. But if I were to, say, clean out an IC pipe and find a bunch of fresh oil in there later, that'd be bad.

Speaking of oil, things look a little sludgy in here to me:

IMG_20171109_130531.jpg

Turbocharged Toyota Heaven:

IMG_20171109_141249_01.jpg

I'm feeling dumb. I've poked around the software, read the FAQ, and still can't figure out how to get uploaded/attached images to display normal size within the post.

Double-tap the image in your post window. A popup menu will come up where you can select "Large" or "Full Size".