Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Since various other Z projects are in a holding pattern, I mock installed a JDM corner lens today.

I'm not actually sure which I like better. I'm not into JDM just because JDM, so I have to think about this one. The US corners look decent on Sapphire Blue I think.

The orange in the JDM lens gets hidden as you move around to the side of the car. That's kind of cool.

I'd lose side running lights with the JDM conversion. Turn signals will still work and light up orange, because the JDM housing has a big orange cover for the clear bulb. The US housing has no such cover, but uses an orange bulb.

[/minutiae]

-

I also drove the maroon Z around yesterday. Suspension clunks at low speed over bumps, especially while turning. I think I know why. When putting the stock coilovers and sway bar back in, I tightened all nuts and bolts with the suspension at full droop. I'm going to have to spend a day fixing that... with the car at stock height, I can probably use Rhino ramps now.

Maroon car also feels hilariously fast somehow. I think it's the shorter tires. Or maybe the glorious sound from the rusted mufflers. [Seriously, it's perfect]

Blue car's mirror fixed so it no longer rattles the glass (I think... have yet to drive it). Mirror installed on car. Door trim installed. Almost entirely. The clip that holds the rear of the door trim close to the door isn't going into the trim, so the trim sticks out a tad. Don't like.

Roof trim still doesn't want to cooperate. I'll try again Tuesday or something. I've probably spent at least 4-5 hours on this and have nothing to show for it.

Not sure if I'll have time to post pics Monday night after I get back, but I'm picking up something awesome down in LA.

Hmm... I'm not sure about the lenses either. I think I like the US-spec ones better. The JDM ones have that '90s plastic look to them - modern clear stuff is really clear and often jeweled. I think they date the car a little. My $0.02!

I like the US-spec version, too.
    Whoomah!

The modern jeweled lenses look out of place to me, they're kind of gaudy on an older car. Cheap glitz. These will look a little nicer with a polish. The main thing I think that makes the JDM ones a bit questionable is there's no breakup on a large lens. Most corner lenses of the era were much slimmer. The US lens breaks things up a bit.

There are also smoked clears for this car but I think those look best on lighter colors or black.

I'm with you guys. There's nothing wrong with orange indicators on dark blue or green cars.
    The JDM ones look cheap.

Yeah - I don't think a modern jeweled light would look good on the Z, only that since they exist they really date the old milky lights look. In 2013, I think very few cars could pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I like the US-spec version, too.
    This.

Murrica all the way.

I am actually warming to the JDM ones, seeing it on the car in different lighting etc. We'll see. Thanks for the inputs.

My LA-area score yesterday? More JDM hotness. And lightness.

I couldn't pass up this deal. Like-new 17x9 WedsSport TC105Ns with almost-new 255/40/17 Hankook RS3s, all for less than the cost of a set of TC105Ns new. Plus, I think silver will look better on the blue car. And this will shave another 10lbs (woo, huge percentage of 3100+lbs ).

I may back-to-back the RS3s against the Z2s once I get a baseline decent setup on the car. I've heard the RS3s don't like to put power down, and that could be their total undoing on this car, which also doesn't like to put power down by its nature. But no harm in trying it since I've got the tires. They're probably the right ones for temperature management at least. Z2s don't like it hot. And a car this heavy gets 'em hot fast.

I was originally thinking to sell the Rota Titans and whatever tires I don't choose, but now I'm thinking that could be a good daily-driving setup which would allow me to save my preferred tires for autocross events. Keep them nicer a little longer.

Acquiring parts is the easiest part of a build, I'm learning.
    Last edited by CudaMan; January 15th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.