Page 95 of 139 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Supra stuff:

Weird as it seems to me I wonder if there's a small boost leak that opens up, closes, opens up, closes, and that causes the variable power output and lack of overall power. I'd think over time it'd get worse, and/or the offending leak would open up entirely and the car would be super slow. I went in to replace the intercooler hoses today but the silicone kit that came in the car didn't have all the right size/shape hoses. Good thing I hadn't removed the old ones yet. I looked it up and this is exactly what I have. I can't figure out why half of those hoses are there. Two of them, the ones on the drivers side, are fairly direct fitment. There are two additional hoses in the stock system, three if you count the one at the top of the engine bay, and none of the other UPGR8 hoses come anywhere close to matching. It's as if the UPGR8 kit is made for an aftermarket IC with non-stock piping. But nothing says it is.

Another thought is the wastegate. The #1 Turbo WG controls overall boost. I tested the actuator and it seems to be working although I don't know exactly how it should be. The manual says to apply 17.4psi to the actuator and move the rod to make sure the WG opens. I can't reach the rod. I can see it move a little bit right around 17.5-18.0 psi, and a little bit further at 20psi. Probably 1/4" in total. It releases with no bind when I bleed the pressure away (I did buy the Mityvac that supposedly breaks all the time...). So this test is pretty inconclusive to me.

I've eliminated some things in the system as problems, and there doesn't seem to be too many things left that would control overall boost. A lot of the complexity in the system lies in the hand-off between turbos, and that doesn't appear to be where the primary problem is because it runs worst under full boost when both turbos are supplying pressure.

Not much progress on the Supra. I did a little cleaning and prep work every day or so for a while and it was finally ready to correct the paint today. I did some test spots this afternoon and then finished up the hood before it got cold and dark. The haze and swirl marks came out very easily with just M205 and a light polishing pad. This suggests soft paint. (It's a respray). However, numerous tiny dots and RIDS remained. RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches. I went more aggressive. Then more aggressive again, all the way to the toughest combo I have (Griots Fast Correcting Cream with a Griots stiff white foam pad). It helped a little. This seemed kind of strange given how easy the haze and swirls went away. Anyway, I don't want to take tons of time going over it again and again plus take off a bunch of clear coat, so those imperfections will still be there. But the paint clarity will be much improved overall and given the state of the car when I got it, I don't think the owner is too picky about RIDS (or even knows what they are).

I finished the hood and half of the targa roof. More tomorrow if I get to it after errands.

-

In less awesome news, the MR2 cracked a fog light lens. Seems a tiny stone caused a cascade effect. I swear these lenses are made of crystal! I think this is the 3rd one since I've had the car. The sad thing is they're now discontinued. I'm going to try to find a good used one. That may take some time. Meanwhile I've removed them so I can "save" my good one from the chance of a similar fate. Once I get a replacement, I'm going to install some kind of protective film before putting them back on.

That's a shame. I remember a documentary about the original VW Scirocco and how parts are getting really hard to find for them. I assume the MR2 has a bigger enthusiast community, hopefully they can come up with something. I assume you already checked to see if it cross references with anything?

No CELs when the boost fluctuates under throttle?

Waiting on pics of the Mostest Imaculate Supra after you're done!

It won't be. The paint is too abused and not that good of a respray. But it'll look good.

No CELs at all except on the 3hr drive to bring the car home. The codes were EGR System Malfunction and Speed Sensor Signal. They haven't returned in the 10-15 minute test drives I've done here.

Nate, I don't hold a lot of hope for many quality reproduction parts becoming available. The market is not that big. Partially because these cars have been so cheap to buy for so long that a lot of owners don't seem to care about restoration or quality non-mechanical parts. Lots of stancebro stuff on the forums these days. "Yo this bumper is so JDM yo." Nevermind the fact it fits horribly. Many of the more mature and financially capable owners started moving on to newer things 10-15 years ago. Elises and other toys.

If I was king of the world I would start a company that specializes in quality faithful reproduction parts for Japanese cars. Kind of like a YearOne for Japanese stuff.

Now there are Chinese knock off fog lights for the MR2 Turbo. They're all over eBay. I need to do more research on them but already I don't like the lack of lettering on the glass. I don't know why I'm so nerdy about that part. Probably wouldn't care as much if my MR2 wasn't so special.

I had a look around at an online Toyota parts catalog and a ton of stuff is discontinued for the MR2 now. Body panels, emblems, braces, weatherstripping, etc. If an MR2 is in an accident these days it's not going to be easy to source parts (likely used). Time to up the insurance value on my car...

I remember those days from trying to find things for my '85 MKII Celica Supra. #salute

It wouldn't help you here, but I'm hoping 3D printing is the answer for some of the interior bits that are unlikely to be mass reproduced. There is some of that in the DMC community but it seems the plastics they use don't hold up well to sunlight.

Sometime this spring I'm going to go to one of the bigger pull-it yards in this part of the state to look for an E46 air box. I'll ping you then and see if you're still missing odds and ends and have a look around.

One of the things that is discontinued is the interior A-pillar trim. It's a yuuuuge piece on the hardtop MK2. From ankle height to behind the head. My boost gauge is stuck in the pod and I really want to replace the gauge but I also really don't want to break my A-pillar trim getting it off. Decisions, decisions.

So good news: I got the last OEM fog light left in the country today. $200+. Bad news: it's the wrong side. I'll have a spare I guess. Or I can sell it in 20 years and retire off the money (yeah right). I think I might call a Candian dealer and see if they can search their warehouses for a left side fog light...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Could Doug help you? I mean if you're not in a hurry, he could help you track it down JDM style, yo!
    acket.

Checked the local yard, zero MR2s.

I signed up to be alerted if they get one. I'll let you know.