Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 2022 SCCA Time Trials Max3 build

Godson - 2022 SCCA Time Trials Max3 build

Most of you guys know I am involved in the SCCA Time Trials National program. Nate got me involved around 3 years ago and I have been loving the format ever since.

After getting the Corvette going and having a blast with it, my hip strength limitations made running that car difficult and I needed a better answer.

I bought a Scion FRS, as a test to see if that car would work for me. I absolutely loved the cars on track personality.

Well except the fact it is SLOW in a straight line. I'm talking I have the chance to stop thinking about what is happening, and start thinking about what needs to happen next, while still in the present.

I also missed the sound of the V8 in the Vette.

LS swaps are SO done.

So, let's talk about rules, because that has a big factor in the build.

Engine swaps are allowed, but must be from a production car, classing is based on unmodified displacement. You may modify the engines, but that moves you up a class. You may boost the engine, but that moves you up a class also.

Now with the boring handled, let's talk fun.

I was originally planning on running a high revving Toyota 1UZ. Between 4 and 4.3 liters, 240-300hp. 400 lbs. Plenty of aftermarket support, but at a price.

The original plan was the 1UZ in stock form, and to build it as I get the car sorted in the off season. 400+hp, and 8k rpm, dry sump oiling, face ripping and wild. Initial estimate would be 15k for the engine build. 4 k for the dry sump oiling. I would be competing against unmodified engine vettes in Max2. That's a lot of cash for only 450hp.

I go back to the drawing board after I see a post complaining about Max3 rulesets allowing the new Cayman GT4RS being in the class.

I head back to the rules and read up. 4.5l unmodified, 2.9l turbo.

I start racking up my brain on V8 engines under 4.5l and make good power. That leads me to looking in Europe. BMW was the first thought, the S65 checks a lot of boxes, except one. It's 470lbs assembled. That's 100 more than the fa20 and the transmission choices would add another 75+ on the front end over the stock transmission.

I go look at Aston Martin, 4.2, dry sump, 400hp. 14k for engine...and who knows about the transmission.

I then start thinking about Italians. Maserati made a 4.2l and 385-395hp, 7500rpm, factory dry sump. I look up my recycler website to find the engines available all day long for $3-4k and only 30-60k miles.

So I start hunting for my Maserati v8.

Sell the Vette (to my brother).

I was in Max 4 for my TT last summer. And I won the class!*

*position 1 of 1

The Maserati V8 is a detuned Ferrari engine is it not?

Would be funny if you could replace the engine cover with one from Ferrari. Make the horsey fans lose thier minds.

Is a cross plane version of the f430 engine.

There has already been a group who have swapped the exact engine into an FRS in Colorado. Group is called Sideways fab, out of Loveland, Colorado.

The swapped the Maserati intake for a Ferrari California, as well as the exhaust manifolds.

Imagine your penis being so small that faux Maserati isn't good enough, you have to mask it even further as a faux Ferrari.

Lol.

I like the idea of Maserati badging all over the engine.

That, and I'm too cheap to spend money in basic penis shrinking things like that.

*clank*

Rebadge it as a fiat

Whatever happened with this?