Page 110 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1381

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

I'm looking forward to seeing a part of the country I haven't been to before. Once, back when I was cool, BFG invited me to the launch of the Rival tire at NOLA. I got sick and gave my spot to a good friend.

Little things the E90 does right: the fuel door is push-to-release, the backside of the cap has a spike that sits so easily in a hole inside the door, when done the door shuts very easily and when the car is locked the fuel door is locked. Much less fiddly than what I'm used to.

Little things the E90 does wrong: the steering wheel and shift knob have zero padding or give. Very hard control surfaces are much less comfortable than thicker leather or a smidge of padding.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I have a weird thing against tolls... grew up without them. If it's not too far out of the way to go around, often I will.

Nate - I'm guessing it beats Mobile?
    Your potential routes thru Dallas won't have toll roads. If your map/gps suggests George Bush Turnpike or the North Dallas Tollway it's getting a kickback from NTTA. Some roads do have 'express lanes' that are tolled (and are obscenely expensive during rush hours) but you can ignore them.

If you aren't going to get to US-80 & 635 by 3pm you might as well take the scenic route. Typical traffic on westbound 635 isn't bad but there's a 60% change there will be wreck, just for you, to screw things up.

I'd suggest I10/12 - I49 route instead of going north thru MS. I-20 in Louisiana is bad and in Shreveport it is terrible. While I10/12 are in good shape and I-49 is a mostly deserted road one can make good time on.

If you bypass DFW I'd stay on I-20 (Google suggest getting off way earlier) until US-69 (exit 556) I-20 is race track and if people are in a good mood and stay out the left lane one can keep it at 80-90.

Good advice. Wish I had seen it before today.

I made a mistake in Louisiana from not looking at the map more closely beforehand. Typically, the major east-west interstates are the fastest most direct way to drive across the country. I-80, I-70, I-40. Apparently you don't want to stay on I-10 in LA. I-12 is where it's at. So in addition to taking the long way around, we got stuck in a big jam approaching Baton Rouge. From there we went up I-49 to Shreveport.

Google Maps had suggested "your route has tolls" if we were to go straight through Dallas. Getting through Texas was interchanges aplenty, so I had navigation actively running and set to avoid tolls. It took us from I-20 to US80, then 635 to 35E up to Denton. Somewhere on 635, I think, I began to realize Google Maps is not up to date in the area, suggesting lanes for interchanges that were no longer accurate. And when I took the ramp to 35E, there was an overhead toll photo bridge. Fuckers.

Also, worst drivers in the country now gets awarded to north Dallas travelers on 35E. Three times in <10 miles I had to put my abilities to the test to avoid having an accident with someone. They're crazy, stupid, or both. I probably ended up looking like the lunatic by swerving or panic stopping, but I was the safe lunatic.

I don't know if the South is really for me, but I gotta say the friendliness and personable nature of a fair number of people there was disarmingly refreshing. That's gone almost everywhere else I've been. We need more of that in life.

Well stated.

Check out Missouri. Pretty decent hospitality here too.

What kind of jerk would willingly go to Missouri on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    There is that!

Glad there were no 'big' issues.

When you got to I35E/PGB Turnpike you were a couple miles from thee house. https://goo.gl/maps/dHjALkFFaHJtxsD98

Yep you took exit 27A instead of 27B. 27B is the free exit.

Don't worry about the toll, last I heard you had to have a $10 bill before they bothered sending a bill.

Also, worst drivers in the country now gets awarded to north Dallas travelers on 35E. Three times in <10 miles I had to put my abilities to the test to avoid having an accident with someone. They're crazy, stupid, or both. I probably ended up looking like the lunatic by swerving or panic stopping, but I was the safe lunatic.
    One gets used to it but that must be the reason the wife refuses to drive on a freeway when I'm not in the car.

That's crazy. I definitely avoided any express lanes. Looks like 27A is a toll ramp and 27B is the free ramp. Never seen anything like that. I must have missed all of that sign as Google was telling me one thing and the road appeared to be something else. I do expect a bill, not having a TX plate or fast pass system on board.

One of these days I'm going to do a big road trip where I actually make time to stop more places along the way. I always seem to end up in efficiency mode, pushing to make progress with few pit stops.

A few more trip notes:

After over 4,000 miles it's home with ~102k on the clock and no CELs. *knock on wood*

Someone in Miami decided to throw a giant sugary coffee cup in the direction of the car. That was fun to clean off at the coin-op carwash. Miami classy as always.

I'll definitely attempt polishing the turn signal repeater to clear again.

Random gas stop in LA:

The ultimate end spot is in Gallup, NM:

Made it to my parents' place just in time for a Father's Day evening. Crazy sunset lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Complete?