Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139
Results 1,381 to 1,389 of 1389

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

An analog clock? Swanky.

Garage door insulation is in. Hopefully this makes the east facing garage a little more bearable in summer. The exposed-rafters ceiling is probably the biggest problem area, and I'm thinking it'd be expensive to do something about that, so let's see how this goes first. This styrofoam door insulation was an easy DIY job.

20240327_142138.jpg 20240328_155259.jpg

Neat, good luck. Does it feel smaller inside now?

You could try stapling some rolls of bubble pack insulation up there.

For the ceiling, I'd recommend 1 of 2 things.

1in thick purple insulation boards, and staple them to the MDF.

Or the nuclear option, frame in the ceiling at whatever height you want, insulate it, and then drywall it. I'd be more than willing to give tips or advice.

Cheapest and easiest option is probably radiant barrier. Radiant barrier sheets can easily be stapled on the wood frame. However, you might not like the oven look? But it’ll also make your garage super bright when you turn on the lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    For the ceiling, I'd recommend 1 of 2 things.

1in thick purple insulation boards, and staple them to the MDF.

Or the nuclear option, frame in the ceiling at whatever height you want, insulate it, and then drywall it. I'd be more than willing to give tips or advice.
    This. insulation between the rafters in the roof, and a ceiling, with insulation on top of it.

Then the only temperature coming in will be through the walls.

I wonder how that works with the existing roof structure in terms of function, and building code. The roof has vents, and if I had a ceiling put in at rafter level what would be done about the vents? During a storm when the wind is blowing in the right direction they allow a little water to drip onto the cars. I'd guess a different vent type could be used. All this starts to sound rather expensive. I need to start playing the lotto, or figure out how to make more money.

-

Not much else on the car front lately. I did detail the MR2T interior, using a new product for the dash and doors - VP Power Leather & Interior Detailer. It's a rebrand of an Optimum product (I forget the name). I typically use 303 on my car interiors but it has always made the MR2 interior look a little too greasy for my liking, and would form a cloudy and smeary layer over time. So far so good with the VP, it seems to leave a cleaner finish. And still has UV protection.

I also cleaned up the painted underside of the engine lid - something I've wanted to do for years but never figured out how to do right. I tried various cleaning products and it'd always look a mess. It finally dawned on me I should treat it like exterior paint. Clean it, clay bar it, then polish and seal. Being careful around the label stickers. It finally looks good!

Next I want to figure out how to mount 4" speakers in the rear panels. It's physically possible, I just haven't found anyone who makes a mount and it definitely needs something. I even checked some 3D printing sites where people post files. Nothing! Oh well. I'm getting used to the head unit, the sound is decent enough and the BT audio is a nice addition. It still feels physically cheap though.

Yeah, that engine cover looks great.