Page 104 of 139 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1381

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

If you opt for a traditional wax/sealant applied, you could probably pay a local detailer a reasonable sum to get a 1-stage paint correction and protection applied. Would look real nice for a daily driver without getting into 4-figure show car detailing prices.

-

Some of you may have seen on FB how I was trying to find some rear wheels/tires in my stock that fit the MR2. I want to take it out for a local autox this weekend without wearing out the unobtanium stock-sized tires that I use on the street. My old race tires, 2008-build-date Hoosier A6s that are hard as rocks, still have enough tread depth up front but the rears are corded. So I needed rears. The 350Z and MR2 have the same bolt pattern, so test fitting began.

Small album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qUTZWpxwf2SnQjf78

All three sets were too big. I definitely expected the 18x11s not to fit. Inboard clearance was fine but they stuck outside the fender quite a bit. I figured the 9.5s with 245s stretched on them might have a chance, but only if I opted for stance levels of rear camber and rolled the fenders. Not happening. So then I thought the stock front 350Z wheels with 255s squeezed on might be even narrower, as the stock wheels have higher offset (they're more tucked and less flush, as the kids would say). Still better but not likely to clear during high G maneuvering. I'm not willing to find out the hard way. The offset is the main problem, but also the fact these 18" tires are all a couple inches greater in diameter than the 15s the car came with. They really fill out the fender.

Modern size wheels/tires really change the look of this car. But man, 15s are so easy to carry! Look ma, one hand.

I looked online for new tires to throw on the race wheels (to replace the corded Hoosiers) and I was a day late and a dollar short. Monday delivery at the earliest. Poo. But I did notice there's a new tire available in stock sizes including the unobtanium 225/50-15, which would mean I wouldn't be as concerned with wearing out my current street set. There's a new Pirelli Trofeo R, the one that comes on the track package Camaro (ZL1 1LE?). Probably great for racing and spirited driving, and not so great for cold rainy mornings. I also wonder about longevity on road trips. There's also the venerable Toyo RA-1 in the same sizes, with the same concerns/questions. Anyone have experience "daily driving" on these tires?

Id love to try some Trofeo but damn scary price and hard to source. I think Im going back to Cup 2 - still expensive but not scary and very easy to get.

I ended up autocrossing the MR2 on the normal street tires. Pumped them up to low 40s (PSI) to reduce shoulder wear. The local lot is low grip asphalt so didn't tear them up too bad at all.

My GoPro bricked itself that morning so I ended up throwing my card in a friend's GoPro last minute without checking the settings - which were all wrong for my position.

When I retired the car from autox years ago I set the front sway bar to the softest setting. I didn't bother changing it back to hardc0r3 mode for this one event. The car was extra floppy. The real challenge was the mushy delayed reactions to my steering input thanks to 55-series 300+ treadwear tires. Yay.

IMG_4781 by Jimmy Au-Yeung, on Flickr

I think it's time to change the brake fluid. Now that ATE SuperBlue is banninated, what's the good value reasonably hi temp stuff?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Run for the border? Ask a friend to bring a couple of cans of superblue over the wall? I'm sure there's lots fresnans who regularly go to TJ.

Edit: wait, isn't ATE typ2000 the same thing except it's just amber, as what was banned was the dye?
    Last edited by FaultyMario; November 27th, 2018 at 07:51 AM.
    acket.

It's true. Been a while since I've seen it, but I was thinking another fluid might be more red than amber and I could still do the color changing brake flush method.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    It's true. Been a while since I've seen it, but I was thinking another fluid might be more red than amber and I could still do the color changing brake flush method.
    Hollis is a big fan of Castrol SRF, but that's like 4x the cost. I would just use Typ 200 and wait for the dark old fluid to change to lighter colored fluid.
    Whoomah!

Anyone here know someone who has used a low viscosity brake fluid in their older car (90s or earlier)? Good, bad, indifferent? Seems these LV fluids are becoming more common with modern ABS/ESP systems needing to cycle with the quickness.

Bosch says their LV fluid is fine for any car that DOT4 is appropriate for. I shall put it in soon.

-

I'm still looking for a new DD. I happened to notice that E91 328i Tourings are in budget, and not knowing much about BMWs outside of M3s, I'm starting to do a little research. It's interesting going back 10 years later and comparing 3-series with G35. The G35 has simpler option packages and comes with more stuff more easily - at least the Sport models. Backup camera, adaptive HIDs, premium sound system, bluetooth... all easy to get on an '07 G. In 2010 all those things were extra options on a 328i, even if you opted for the Premium and Sport packages. And actually, a backup camera was never an option in the US.

Quite interestingly, the E91 is about halfway between the 350Z and G35 sedan in length. That's surprising - visually the E91 is a long car, and it's also wider than the G35 sedan. BMW must have cut all the length with that super short front overhang.

Now that I'm open to this option as well as 6MT G35 Sedans (previously I was looking only for a 5AT), I think I need to find cars locally to test drive. I can't find technical details on the suspension differences in the sport package for the BMW, but I imagine if I test drove a sedan with the sport package it'd be representative enough of the wagon driving experience. At first glance, an E91 6MT with sport package, Premium package, Xenons, etc might be even harder to find than the right G35...

Why do I like rare cars? Actually the question is, why are the best cars so rare?

-

The 350Z is still ticking along great as it approaches 120k miles. Going to do a major service soon. It occasionally has a slightly rough idle. I wish it would just go bad so I could isolate which cylinder it is.

I found a 6MT E90 328i and a 6MT V36 G35, both with Sport packages, in Sacramento and made the trek to test drive them today.

The BMW was interesting. So different in some ways from the dozen or so Japanese sports cars I've owned. The funniest thing is the BMW turn signal controls kind of suck, so I get why nobody uses them.

Mostly was impressed with the E90. It drove very well. Driver comfort and position is excellent. Adjustable side bolsters and a telescope steering wheel that actually telescopes close enough - big win. The clutch and shifter were great, felt pretty much new. Long throws to the shifter, but that's OEM for ya. Steering was nicely weighted and quick. The throttle pedal, though, was weirdly dead in the first 10% of travel. I'm reasonably sure this is a BMW thing, not something wrong with this car. A linear throttle map would be great...

Suspension is a little soft but rides really well, seemed almost sporty enough. I'd probably do something to firm it up if I owned one - shocks or a bar or something.

Stereo was the basic one and was pretty underwhelming (I'm whelmed...).

Speaking of being whelmed, the engine was quite uninspiring. It's the most characterless 6 I've driven. And not very quick. Not dangerously slow, but coming from a 350Z it almost felt like I was driving a Twin: Where's the torque? And I hear nothing. Bet there's a surge at the top end, then..... ..... ... nope, guess not.

The car seemed to have aged pretty well, much better than T's pampered E46. And I wouldn't call this particular E90 cherished. Plenty of body blemishes and some scratches on the interior.

Then I went a few blocks down the road to drive the G35. It was buried in the back and they didn't want to extract it, despite me calling ahead yesterday saying I was driving 3 hours today to see the car. Oh well. I got to sit in it and make vroom vroom noises.

The stereo is much better, although there's a strange boost in the lower midrange frequencies.

Headroom may be an issue, unless this car had a slightly broken seat adjustment. I motored it all the way down and my hair was brushing the headliner next to the sunroof.

Must find another one to check out, and actually drive.

The search continues.

Had lunch afterward with Russ and another friend.

Hmm... How tall are you? My old roommate had a manual transmission G35 for a while, and he's 5'10", but with a 30" inseam, so he's long in the torso. He had a difficult time driving my Miata without the top of the windshield frame being in his field of view. I don't remember him having headroom issues with the G35.