Page 108 of 139 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1387

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Hopefully not south of I10

Odds are it is below I10 considering 90% is below it

How close are you going to be swinging by Atlanta?

I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area for the next couple weeks. Looks like we are going to Ft Myers this weekend for some test-n-tune time with the new BRZ build. You ever go down there for car fun Joe?

Just looking at my route options heading back to CA in a couple weeks, it appears I'll head up to I-10 and get to Baton Rouge where I can either continue on I-10 West or head Northwest, go through Dallas, and connect up with I-40 which I've driven several times. Never done I-10, and I wonder if Adam is still back in Houston. Looks like Atlanta is a little too far out of the way. Tampa might be possible, I think it might be a 1hr diversion or so.

-

So far the 328i is a likable car. An outstanding long distance cruiser with the great sport seats, extremely comfortable ride quality, long fuel interval and surprisingly good passing torque in 6th gear. I averaged 31mpg highway on my first day, which is above the EPA 28 highway rating.

I haven't really tested out the handling yet, but it feels good in ordinary driving. I think the shocks have very little compression damping (low speed *or* high speed) because they absorb bumps like you wouldn't believe, and when you have to swerve (as I did avoiding a car changing lanes towards me) it takes a while for the suspension to set. There's lots of soft travel to get through before it starts firming up and changing direction. I suspect soft springs, small sway bars, and comfort-oriented dampers. And this is the optional M-Sport suspension! Can't imagine how soft the standard one is. Konis and a firmer front sway bar may be in my future.

The interior is in really good shape for its age/mileage. The leather has held up well, as have most other surfaces. It's pretty much rattle free, although one specific kind of bump can trigger one tiny brief rattle. Curiously, though the steering doesn't ooze with feedback (it's heavily weighted which I think gives most people the illusion of connection) the wheel has more kickback over bumps than I've experienced in a while.

Exterior is an 8/10, the paint needs a good cleanup and polish and the plastic headlight covers are pitted. There's a scuff on the rear bumper that I don't think will buff out much, but I'll try.

I just had my first problem with it today, which hopefully is just a small gremlin and not an expensive repair. The drivers seat will go up but not down. I had a couple other odd things happen with the car - minor funny things, like the outside mirrors aiming down after stopping at a toll booth. And the one-touch turn signal operation going from a triple indication the past 2 days to a single indication today. These cars are loaded with complexity and layers of tech beyond the simple straightforward stuff I'm used to from Japanese cars. The cruise control operation, for example, is brilliant but takes time to learn and get used to. It'll even apply the brakes if you pull back hard enough on the stalk, indicating a desire to reduce speed significantly. I'm spending some time with the owners manual to learn all these things - something I haven't had to do before.

The automatic wipers are brilliant. Totally not a gimmick.

The stereo... well I knew it wouldn't be great, it's only the base stereo (out of 3 or 4 levels available). It's pretty sub-par though. Unfortunately it's one level too low to make upgrading it easy, so if I decide to allocate money to this it won't be cheap. In my car search over the past few months it became painfully clear that so few customers ordered their E90 BMWs the way I would have - loaded with options but with a stick shift. Speaking of that, the transmission feels great. The shifter, well the throws are extremely long and it's far away. I guess that's sedan life.

Trunk space is surprisingly limited with the aftermarket space-saver spare kit in there. These cars came with run-flats which most people don't like, so many owners ditch them for regular tires and either go on faith, risk having a patch kit ruin the TPMS sensor, or carry a spare around. I haven't decided yet if I'll keep the spare kit or sell it.

It sounds like I'm picking the car apart but actually I really like it for a daily so far.

Untitled.jpg

Route options: If you decide to do I-40 be sure to check the weather for possible thunderstorms between Dallas & Amarillo. The attached pic show the blob that blew thru earlier today. It caused the tornado sirens to blow which caused the wife to text me 12 times in 10 minutes.

<off-topic> Love watching Flightaware for DFW when thunderstorms blow thru. A flight from DFW to Amarillo had to fly to El Paso before turning north, and a flight from Little Rock to DFW made a right turn over Houston to get in the pattern. </off-topic>

Auto wiper: Glad they work on the BMW. Got them on a Mazda & hate them because they think 12 drops of water require high speed even with the sensitivity set to low.

Oh well. Enjoy the new car, man!

Let me know a loose itinerary and I may be able to make something happen. When you leave Ft Laud which way will you be driving? If you take I75 up (probably fastest way) to I10 then you will drive right near me. Might be a good time to stop for lunch/dinner etc.
    Last edited by JoeW; May 29th, 2019 at 04:52 PM.

I will definitely check weather forecasts before I go which may determine my route. I'd expect in another week and a half the weather will have calmed down - isn't this quite late in the season for big storms across the middle of the country?

Joe, it looks like the turnpike up through Orlando is the fastest way to I-10, but I-75 across alligator alley and up through Tampa could work too. I'll do my best to remember to PM you once I decide when to head back. Thinking mid June.

Big storm season would normally be dying off by now, but this spring has been bonkers - we're still seeing huge flooding right now.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Let me know if you're going through Dallas. I'll buy you lunch/ dinner/ whatever meal it is if you're so inclined.

Be warned, going west through Dallas is a long slog to El Paso. From Dallas to Phoenix, you're halfway when you're in El Paso, and you're still in Texas. West Texas has pretty liberal speed limits (80mph posted) and drivers haul ass. I got passed doing 100, waited for them to be about a mile or two ahead, got passed again, waited for them as well, then went 120 just like they were, watching out for bogeys everywhere.

Half hour later I see the first car pulled over. I stop for gas a 1/2 hour later (on the bike you're only going 100 miles per tank going over 100mph) and guess who pulls in seconds after I do? Captain Roadracer. He must have been in a hurry.

Anecdotally, a 96mph ticket was $276 in Texas. A 104mph ticket was $1071 in California.

Edit; A good friend posits that going north to I40 is actually shorter. I don't know if that's true.