Page 109 of 139 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1387

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Didn't realize you were in Dallas now! I'll likely head out next week and send you and Joe my contact if I'll be going by you guys.

I live in CA - I'm used to big states. It felt strange traveling down I-95 after getting the car and going through a bunch of states in a day.

I think in CA you also lose your license for over 100mph ticket.

-

Ordered my first mod for the BMW. A shift knob. When building the STX Z32 I spent a lot of time working on shift feel/quality, experimenting with different knobs and shift kit / bushings. I found that my preferred knob is leather and weighted. BMW knobs are a unique snap-in fitment (not threaded like Japanese cars) so my best option looks like an E46 ZHP knob, which is... leather and weighted. It's also about 3/4" shorter than the stock E90 knob so it should feel like slightly shorter shifts, too. Compared to Japanese sports cars, the E90 shift throws are long, widely spaced, and a bit rubbery. It kind of reminds me of my Dad's old AE86 actually.

The downside to this knob is now I'm officially a poser. It has an ///M logo on it. Which is weird because it didn't come from an M car, but whatever.

Having the control interfaces feel direct, responsive, and linear is important to me. Next step will be to eliminate the very restrictive CDV (clutch delay valve), bleed the brakes (not sure if this will do anything but I'd like a little firmer pedal), and get a tune for more linear throttle response. I have to floor it to match revs on a downshift which is weird.

Yeah. Driving in the east can mess with your mind when you cover several states in a few hours. Heck, we dove through three states in 45 minutes going to a Bobby McFerrin concert from Boston.

Yeah i moved to Dallas in July last year. Wanted to buy a house, and needed to move to somewhere I could do that on just my income. Loved LA and would move back in a heartbeat but the real estate picture there is woeful.

Let me know when you're passing through. I have a hankering to go to do the Tail Of The Dragon in North Carolina. And i seem to have a clean bill of health going by how I feel right now. I have a appt with the doctor to see if I need any more physical therapy. If im cleared I might head out there friday, do the damn thing and be back by Monday. Or I might wait and go during the week, I don't think I want to be there on the weekend.

8 won ate too one seven 9 to for cinco
    Last edited by neanderthal; June 5th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Oh, the license suspension isn't automatic for going over 100mph in Cali. They can do so on the spot though.

Clean record, current insurance and registration and license, not driving dangerously, where and what time the incident happened (mine was at 01:30 at night, on I10 westbound, just inside California, coming from Phoenix. Try that at 3 in the afternoon on the 405 and you're getting the entire judicial system thrown at you.) etc and you might skate. If you appear to be under the influence, are belligerent, bellicose, disrespectful, cocky, it's up to them.

I drove a standard Mercedes W124 E320. It wasn't a lowered, big wheels, big exhaust, all stickered up wanna be race car. I had turned down all the lights on the dash (I have a problem with glare in my right eye ever since a rugby incident when I was blind in one eye for six months in 2003.) was wearing sunglasses (yes, at night.) I apologised, explained (It probably helped that just my right eye was inflamed) and also explained that I really can't tell the speed between 40 and anything because the car is so quiet and planted.
    He said he could take my license and I told him I was aware of that and that was his prerogative but I wasn't speeding because I was out getting my jollies, I was just trying to get home and I couldn't tell how fast I was going.

But yes, they can seize your car and/ or suspend your license on the spot (pending your appearing before a judge of course.) for going over 100.
    Last edited by neanderthal; June 5th, 2019 at 11:50 AM.

Slim chance I'll be in Texas when you're through, but I-10 is my corridor - would love to catch up if you're near! Congratulations. It's an incredible drive. I-10 lets you see the Texas scenery change from city to hills to limestone to desert.

HK returns! Great to hear from you Adam.

A timeline is coming together for the trip, most likely leaving Miami area Thursday morning and getting home Sunday afternoon just in time to see my Dad for Fathers Day. I'll hash out the plan and update here.

So T is coming with me for a few days of the trip. A little getaway for her. Plan is to book it to Biloxi and spend some time there Thursday night and Friday morning. Looks like a fun place. Then book it to somewhere around Gainesville or Wichita Falls for the night, then drop her off at Albuquerque airport on Saturday. I'll continue the rest of the way to make it home to see my Dad on Father's Day. So in the end, probably no time to detour or stop to catch up with any of you guys. T really needs the time off to relax and decompress.

Biloxi. It's, yeah, Biloxi.

The weather is looking good in DFW, no chance of rain until Monday.

Gainesville, you taking the scenic route?

I have a weird thing against tolls... grew up without them. If it's not too far out of the way to go around, often I will.

Nate - I'm guessing it beats Mobile?

My experience in Biloxi is probably tainted by bad circumstance. I showed up for a conference and we got hit by a tropical storm that shut down our conference and confined us to the hotel. But, the hotel had a bar in it, so it wasn't all bad.