Page 122 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1389

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

First highway drive - check.
    First autocross - check.

The highway drive is notable because the soft top has multiple holes in it and I was worried it might come apart. And also one of the latches doesn't like to stay latched at first, but I think I figured out if I put the top up at least 15 minutes before a trip and re-seat the latch as often as it needs it in that time, it'll hold from then on. Fixing the latches (the other one squeaks like an annoying squeaky thing over bumps ) is on the very long list of improvements...

After the event I heard a light knocking sound at idle. First thought is the beginnings of a bottom end bearing failure. The car wasn't run low on oil (it consumes some but I kept it at at least halfway up on the dipstick) but the engine has unknown mileage from an unknown Celica, so who knows. The knock/tap is rhythmic and only at idle - any other engine speed it's gone. I can't really hear it from the top, and it's loudest when I poke my head down to the ground behind the doors. That sure seems like rod knock indicators, but the fact it's only at one specific engine speed is a little confusing, makes me think maybe something big is rattling down there at that specific engine speed harmonic. Maybe a clutch spring is broken? The clutch felt a little heavier on the drive home, felt like there was more friction in the pedal, but not so heavy that it's obvious something is wrong.

I think the plan is to get under the car now that it's cool and see if anything heavy and external could be rattling down there. And then do a used oil analysis, which I'm guessing would tell me if I have a bearing issue or not. It's not a deep knock, it sounds more like a lifter tick but the sound is definitely not up high at the valve cover.

Anyway, the autox was fun, this car is a liiiiittttle better than the 328i at it. The Spyder still needs a lot of setup changes to get good, but that old familiar MR feeling is there. The rear sway bar is too big for this setup, so there's plenty of over-rotation on entry and then inside wheelspin on exit. The car came with some sort of Federal tire with 2017 build dates but plenty of tread. Seemed fairly sticky actually.

I was only 2.5 seconds slower than the Civic Type R driven by a National Champion. I'm not too mad about that considering how much better the Spyder can be when I get it sorted.

This camera mount was far less shaky and far more useful than I had anticipated.

Paddock pic

Love the shifter in this thing, it's so easy.
    Last edited by CudaMan; September 27th, 2021 at 12:21 PM.

Junior Potato
    It’s the White Weapon.

The Bianco Belter.

Unsaturated Insanity.

When I started autocrossing, one of my friends was running a silver MR-S. Seeing this brought back memories

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    It’s the White Weapon.

The Bianco Belter.

Unsaturated Insanity.
    The Bacon's fat?
    acket.

I'd say white widow, but that's a weed strain

Plate: MY BWC
    (Big White Car)

Big?
    Whoomah!

el pequeño diablo

Annnyway...

This is a really old oil pan but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is fresh metal. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VSkgfzUq3RxwRwx27

I drained enough to send a sample to Blackstone, once that comes back and tells me what metals there are I'll figure out a plan. I'm leaning towards rebuilding the bottom end, re-honing the cylinders, and doing fresh rings. I haven't heard of issues with the head on the 1ZZs so that might be okay to leave as is, but I don't really know. It would certainly save on machine shop time/money. This would be my first engine-out and teardown. Time to figure out what I'd need. Space, an engine hoist *and* an engine stand? A strong back to pull the trans off by hand?

For those outside the US, our Postal Service has deteriorated quickly. After I dropped off my oil sample it took 10 days for it to be scanned in a distribution center in my state. Getting results is taking longer than expected. *twiddle* I really want to drive this thing again.