Page 134 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1389

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Back in the day Honda used phillips flat head screws to hold a rotor in place. Only stripped 3 of 4 but a hand impact driver was able to break them lose. Left them out so I wouldn't have to deal with them.

Too modern. Thumbs down.

What, phillips screws?

-

Well I'll be darned. I checked on that Pioneer again last night and Sonic Electronix showed it as In Stock. Quickly added to my cart and searched for some solid 6.5 speakers for the doors. Found a pair of Infinity Reference shallow-mounts on sale for $63/pair so I snagged those. They're only coaxial, but that will simplify installation and still be an upgrade from my current 5.25s. I expected an email this morning informing me the head unit is in fact backordered with no expected date of restock, but lo and behold I have a tracking number instead. Nice to get a win once in a while.

Hopefully this means I can put the Turbo interior back together in a couple weeks (next time I'm home after receiving the goods).

Also put some Oatey cutting oil in my cart when I ordered the new bathroom faucet from Home Depot last night.

Maybe ordering a new brake rotor set screw is the excuse I needed to order replacement rear window trim...

Getting too good at solving problems with the credit card lately.

Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    Back in the day Honda used phillips flat head screws to hold a rotor in place. Only stripped 3 of 4 but a hand impact driver was able to break them lose. Left them out so I wouldn't have to deal with them.
    They strip because they are not Phillips, they JIS (Japanese industrial standard) and the difference is just enough to cause problems.

Anyone who works on Japanese cars should really have a JIS #2 screwdriver on hand. It's like magic.

Yes. Yes you should.

But be prepared if that bad boy is rusted in. You can absolutely snap the head off a screw.

Little updates.

328i: I'm starting to prep it for sale. I put the stock shift knob back on (I've had a leather weighted ZCP knob on there since shortly after getting the car), replaced the crumbling rubber rear window trim, and plan to put the stock control arms back on this weekend (and have another go at the rotor set screw). A local autocrosser has expressed interested in the M3 arms I have on there now, and there's a solid chance the next owner of my car won't care or know the difference. The rear subframe inserts will stay on the car. Other than that it'll be 100% stock when I sell it. I'll need to figure out the market for these cars now, see what it might be worth after all the economic shenanigans that have happened since I bought it in 2019. I've put a deposit on a replacement vehicle in South Carolina, if all goes well I should have it in a couple weeks.

MR2 Turbo: the world's most drawn out stereo install continues. I put the door speakers in, initially they don't sound very good at all and I'm really hoping "break in" is a real thing with these. The surround I made to adapt/seal them to the door isn't 100% sealed but it's close so I would think that would be good enough but maybe I'm wrong on that. I've used this 3M foam tape method a couple times before in other cars and results have been totally fine, so I'm not sure yet what the deal is. I doubt it's the new head unit, but maybe? The sound is just uninspiring and not as clean/clear as I would expect in the midrange. I've had all manner of mainstream speakers in cars in the past - Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker, Alpine, Polk, etc, and I would expect these Infinity Reference speakers to be in the mix so to speak.

The new head unit definitely feels a bit cheaper than the old one, and disappointingly the display is remarkably dim at full brightness. I don't get why buttons and volume knob rings will light up bright enough to gently sear your retinas but the main display that has actual info on it is squinty dim in a moving vehicle. Old man yelling at clouds here but man, this is User Interface 101.

I'll roll with it for a bit and see if I get used to it, but it remains possible I'll put the old head unit back in, quite possibly as a test of my sound quality to rule out the new HU as the problem. I had an extra Toyota patch harness lying around so I made a separate harness for the new HU. The plug looks almost the same but it turns out Pioneer moved some pins around since 2008 so I couldn't simply re-use the old harness.

The DIN-sized pocket in the car (a Camry part actually) had a door hinge pin missing for a while now, so I replaced the hinge pin (had to buy a whole variety pack of pins but they're cheap, whatever). The next day (still on the bench) the plastic surrounding the hinge pin broke. The plastic is just thin in that spot, and old now. I ordered a replacement using the part number engraved on the side of the pocket, and what I received is different and not as good (the opening is slightly slimmer, and no felt lining the inside). Pretty sure the old part is discontinued and it superseded to this part. Dang. Now what? I just discovered Megazip looking for a part to fix my Mom's Camry, they ship from warehouses in Japan, so I'll have to look it up there and try again I guess.

Spyder: n/a
    Last edited by CudaMan; June 8th, 2023 at 12:39 PM.

That's a shame, you spent what felt like months picking that head unit out and it may not work for you. I did something similar with the Saab, tried really hard to love the Android unit I put in but ultimately I reverted back to stock.

I saw your IG stories, and am now patiently waiting (and secretly hoping 4 something specific).