Page 15 of 139 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Dampers are what affects the ride quality, I wonder if the dampers are mis-valved....

This is what I'm hearing from more and more people. That even quality dampers can ride smoothly with crazy stiff spring rates.

I think there's only one company that revalves these dampers... and I bet it isn't cheap. Or fast.

-

In other news, I drained the catch cans today...

This is after four (4) autocross runs. That's crazy. I think there's a problem with the PCV pickup point location, yeah? What's interesting is this all came out of one can - the other can was empty. If this pattern holds after several more events, I think I'd be safe to go with a much simpler (and slightly lighter) single catch can for the troublesome side only. It's the passenger side PCV that has the drinking problem. It picks up from the exhaust valve cover low down on the drivers side (both pick ups are close by). And runs to the passenger side PCV valve, which is attached to a part of the intake that crosses back over to the drivers side cylinder bank. Not complicated at all, is it?

I did put a lot of work and $$$ into this custom dual catch tank system though... shame to waste it. On the other hand, I've saved my cats and learned something useful in the process.

It'd be nice if I could dump this oil back into the sump but I have a feeling it's probably better not to.

The TTs only ever blew smoke going one direction, so I guess it makes sense that only one bank is the problem child?
    Whoomah!

Actually it's not that straightforward from what I can tell. Here are the two vent tubes at the back of the drivers side exhaust valve cover:

They're both in a similar area. The tube on the back of the valve cover is the one that lets all the oil through. Not the tube on the side. I would have thought it'd be the one on the side since the car only goes through oil when autocrossing.

What does it look like inside of the valve cover?

Dark and oily.
    Whoomah!

...smartass

Presumably with some baffling of some sort, somewhere in there.

That really is a dumb location for a PCV connection. At the back and low, where oil in the head is going to go every time you get on the gas. Crazy they thought that was a good idea on this type of a car.

Is there any option to relocate the PCV port? Or possibly put some sort of baffling (a small canister with steel wool, etc.) very nearby to help return oil directly to the head?

Not within the rule structure that Bryan is following. He's only allowed to add a catch tank.
    Whoomah!