Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the suspension, other than getting it back to stock capability. Caveat being if your sister is really planning to drift it, since it's not nearly stiff enough for that. But, for learning RWD+MT, I don't think it gets more benign yet responsive than a Miata.

ps. lower + stiffer doesn't equal "rides nice for long highway trips" on a car with maybe 4" of suspension travel.
    Whoomah!

The NorCal autocrosser's street Miata that I test drove rode pretty well I thought. Better than the stock suspension on our new '97. He had springs and shocks, I think a FatCat setup but I'm not sure I remember. Which probably included different bump stops or shock mounts. No roll bar.

We're not looking for stance, yo. Something a little racier but still with some body roll and comfort is what I was thinking. Just not the marshmallow in the turns and jackhammer in the straights suspension that's on there now.

I've only driven two NAs on the street (actually I think I might have driven your white one once, many moons ago - or maybe I rode around in it). Both cars felt like they had an odd interplay between direction change and body roll. Something's not natural or linear - I can't quite put my finger on it. I never notice it autocrossing any Miatas (including ES trim). When our '97 was laterally loaded on an onramp yesterday, and I slowly released the wheel at the exit of the corner, the body roll didn't subside smoothly - it was delayed and then released quickly. Maybe it came off long bump stops. It also feels like in a corner there's disproportionately more extension on the inside than there is compression on the outside.

Thanks for the pro tips.
    Last edited by CudaMan; January 19th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Back to the blue Z today.

Speakers: In. I experimented with the XTC foam baffles and found that things sounded way, way, waaaaay worse with them in place. I guess they just don't give the speaker enough room to breathe. I fought some door rattles, but eventually gave up as the one or two remaining ones are not terribly annoying and are somewhere internal to the door where I can't reach. I fixed the big rattle, which is progress. See the problem is the old speakers couldn't produce enough bass to rattle the doors. New ones can...

Door cards: In. Now I have an interior again! The things we take for granted...

Wheels: Swapped. T-top Z gets the stock wheels from the blue car. Blue car gets the 17x9 Rotas. The black color, as suspected, doesn't look particularly good on it. Hopefully a bit better in the sunlight.

Car: Washed. Nothing like washing fresh paint and brand new trim. So smooth.

4x4 mode ON.

Things are starting to come together. Once all the existing parts here are in place, I think the car is going to end up being pretty nice. If I just replace the interior trim in the hatch area, get a new hood insulator, and ditch the LED dash lights for stock ones, the car will be awesome. Oh and maybe new brakes too. And power steering pump. And drivers door card (someone had a reeaally sharp elbow?). Shoot - that list was longer than I was just thinking it was a minute ago...

The Miata looks racier than I'd have expected from an older couple.

The blue Z looks sharp save for the black rims. Analytically I understand they're not ghetto but... it's tough to see past.

Black is beautiful
    Get that weak shit off my track

I dig 'em as well. They'd be fine in some other color too, but I have zero complaints. It's a fine looking motor!

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    The Miata looks racier than I'd have expected from an older couple.
    Methinks they purchased it that way.

I started writing the ad for my '91 Z and am wondering where I might try to sell it. I've sold all my cars through people I know, except the S2k which got posted at S2ki.

I don't know if I want to deal with CL bottom-feeders. I might try to post it to the localish Z32 group but they tend to want crazy deals. eBay was suggested by my girl. I was thinking that might be most appropriate for a more unique/specialty car. Z32s aren't hard to find - just finding the right one for you is the challenge. I also don't have an eBay account and I'm not sure how many eBayers would be comfortable bidding on something so expensive from a user with no feedback/rep.

I still need to smog the car and clean it up a bit, but it's just about ready to go.

-

Before I left for Daytona I washed the blue Z and put a car cover on it. It's not quite all-weather. And of course *now* it rains in CA! Hopefully the water trapped between the paint and the cover doesn't put stains on the new paint or something. I'll get to survey the situation Tuesday...

-

My sister will be visiting on Tuesday as well. She'll get to check out her Miata for the first time, and hopefully we can sneak in an MT lesson. It might be a little while before she can take the car home, so it's MINE for now.

-

I also still need to detail the interior of my mom's Camry, sell the old MR2 wheels, and get ready to put suspension/bushings/diff/catchcan/battery on the blue Z. No shortage of car projects here!

I'd certainly give CL a try. You can always ignore the responses from ignoramuses and deal only with the people you want to deal with. The folks I sold the 9-3, A4, and GTS to were all cool people, I'm glad to have met them. It costs nothing, whereas ebay takes your $50 right up front. I think Autotrader is also free for "basic" ads, but the quality of user there really isn't any better than CL IME. Maybe advertise it in the SF Bay one instead of Fresno? CL is an SFB staple - the entire population is on it.

rrax.com and baautox.com are the other obvious places to list it, since people know you there.
    Whoomah!