Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Be cautious with the flashing CEL - that means whatever is going on is bad enough to potentially damage the catalytic converter. That is less than ideal.

Indeed. We ended up replacing the cats in Mapper's Protege (under warranty!) after a broken connection in one of the coils led to a persistent misfire and, eventually, running on two cylinders while dumping raw gas down the exhaust out of the other two. Heh.

The main cat was bright yellow when we limped it into the dealership. I guess we tested the heat shielding on the bottom of the car...*cough*
    Whoomah!

I agree with Kch. Have you considered the fact that you are a celebrity now? However, I predict that you are too humble to use that to your advantage.

I don't think it's that kind of sale really. I'm not that famous - only known in certain small circles. Its' not like it was my cherished car for many years either. Just a stepping stone. If a buying audience happens to recognize who I am, fine with me, otherwise, fine with me too.

I'm definitely not driving the Miata until it's fixed. My first thought when it was bucking and stumbling, with a couple small backfires, was that the cat could get hurt, and that's one reason I turned right around and parked it at home (I wasn't even a block away yet).

So, advertise in the right circles! I think you're underestimating your fame. But like I said, humility.
    Last edited by Cam; February 12th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

$22 code reader worked brilliantly with the Miata. Says #3 cylinder misfire. Or said. New plugs and wires arrived today, went on the car, and it runs properly again.

I took the blue Z out for a bit. It's doing something funny. The battery has been disconnected for the past 3 weeks, so I opened the door with the key, popped the hood, connected the battery and started the car. And thennnn...

1) Parked at the bank, closed the door and used the remote to lock the doors. Returned to car, unlocked doors with remote, it wouldn't start. Some kind of starter kill - not a weak battery - because I disconnected the battery, immediately reconnected it, and the car started up fine.

2) Gas stop. Got out, put fuel in the car without locking it, got back in and the starter kill was in effect again. Repeated above sequence for getting it started.

3) Home. Turned off car, closed door, locked it with the remote. Except it didn't lock. Further attempts revealed the remote and the car were incommunicado. Remote works, since it has an audible beep (yes, inside the remote. I know it's weird).

So something funny is going on with the car's keyless entry system. I guess I might have to start by pairing the remote to the car again, but this should not affect the starting, only the locking/unlocking.

I'll probably have to ask around in Z groups since this is probably a Nissan specific thing.

Z problem may have been my laziness not tightening the negative battery terminal when I put it back on...

Doh!
    Whoomah!

Does anyone know what brake pads come with this speckled gray/black backing plate? There's plenty of life left in the pads. The rotors feel a bit thin though (just judging by the flare on the outer edge). Stock Miata shouldn't be that tough on pads at the track, methinks. I do feel a bit of warpage or pad deposits in the braking though. I know all new brakes would be ideal but it almost seems a shame to toss nearly new pads.

20140215_105122.jpg

If you need to change the rotors, you should really change the pads too. It's bad form to change rotors without pads. Pads are cheap - no point in saving a few bucks and ending up with improperly bedded-in brakes.