Page 200 of 499 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Stern had the lead actor on the other day and was fellating him pretty good. Stern is a comic book guy though so maybe it's genuine.

Apparently Jon Bernthal is continuing to do a fine job as Frank Castle so it can't all be comic book love.

Marvel’s ‘The Punisher’ is dull and politically flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyDot.com
    Netflix released all 13 episodes to critics, and despite strong performances from Bernthal, Walcott and Moss-Bachrach (Micro), it was a slog to reach the end.

I found myself thinking back to Person of Interest, which did a better job with similar material. Its main characters were an ex-CIA vigilante and his hacker partner, battling shadowy enemies in the military-industrial complex. Even in the framework of a formulaic CBS crime show, it was more satisfying than Marvel’s attempt at serious long-form drama.
    Damn, I guess I'd better start watching Person of Interest!

Amazon bought the Lord of the Rings IP so enjoy that, nerd.

They're doing prequel stuff, not a reboot of the movies.

I heard it was a book, too, but who knows.

I will!

Tho' I would love for them to get the band back together and fill in the gaps after the events of the War of the Ring as King Elessar of Minas Tirith and King Éomer of Rohan (and their attendant armies which would thus summon Peregrin Took & Meriodoc Brandybuck to return respectively) join forces to battle the Black Númenórean of Umbar as was briefly mentioned in the Index of the Return of the King.

'Cause if the Kings & Hobbits are there, you know that Legolas & Gimli ain't gonna miss that party! #nerd

EDIT: $250 mil for the rights alone?? Sweet hell, even the Tolkien Estate has gotta be happy... still, considering what Disney has paid for past IPs, this might turn out to be a very reasonable deal. The NYT has said that Game of Thrones is good for around $1 bil annually for HBO.

After some further reading, it sounds like this is just for the literal TV rights to The Hobbit through to the Lord of the Rings. So The Silmarillion is still yet to be sold by the Tolkien Estate...
    Last edited by novicius; November 13th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Damn, I guess I'd better start watching Person of Interest!
    It was actually a really good show, which managed to achieve some greatness by the end - Really surprising for a network show. IIRC, the first half-season is a little rough until they figured it all out, and developed the characters some.

My wife and I still call James Caviezel "Kung-Fu Murder Robot, James Caviezel."
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    It was actually a really good show, which managed to achieve some greatness by the end - Really surprising for a network show. IIRC, the first half-season is a little rough until they figured it all out, and developed the characters some.

My wife and I still call James Caviezel "Kung-Fu Murder Robot, James Caviezel."
    PoI was a bit slow for the first half of season one, like many shows they never seem to hit their stride until after their winter break and they get confirmed. From season 2 onwards it was one of my favourite shows.

Finally watched Thor: Ragnarok. I liked it better than Dark World, but not as much as the first movie. The first one had too much heart.

Can’t wait for Infinity War.

Spoiler:
    What I loved:

1. The story was decent and the action was over the top, especially the Hulk.

2. Great soundtrack.

3. The girl who played the Valkyrie made my mouth water. She was lovely.

4. Hela knocking over the ‘Infinity Gauntlet’ in Odin’s vault was great. They finally filled that longstanding, (and annoying), plot hole from the first film.

5. The appearance of Sanctuary II - (Thanos’ ship in the mid-credits for you non-comicbook-nerds).

What I didn’t love:

1. Too much humour, especially considering the subject matter, (end of the world and stuff). They borrowed a little too much from the GOTG formula. Too much for my taste, anyway.

2. We never got a chance to see the extent of Odin’s power in these three films, which is a shame. I was anticipating seeing his ‘skyfather’ level power exhibited on the big screen in an epic battle against Surtur, but alas he was killed off in the first 15 minutes.

3. While I liked the the whole Planet Hulk/Sakaar tie-in, it made me miss the Silver Surfer, which made me sad.

4. Not enough Doctor Strange in this film.

5. The slaughter of the Warriors Three was kind of unnecessary, in my opinion.

6. No appearance by, or mention of, Lady Sif.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    EDIT: $250 mil for the rights alone?? Sweet hell, even the Tolkien Estate has gotta be happy... still, considering what Disney has paid for past IPs, this might turn out to be a very reasonable deal. The NYT has said that Game of Thrones is good for around $1 bil annually for HBO.

After some further reading, it sounds like this is just for the literal TV rights to The Hobbit through to the Lord of the Rings. So The Silmarillion is still yet to be sold by the Tolkien Estate...
    Christopher Tolkien resigns as Tolkien Estate director.

Quote Originally Posted by TolkienSociety.Org
    Christopher Tolkien has resigned as a director of the Tolkien Estate.

According to Companies House, Christopher Reuel Tolkien stood down as a director of both The Tolkien Estate Limited and The Tolkien Trust on 31 August 2017.

Christopher, who turns 93 this month, is J.R.R. Tolkien’s third son and was appointed literary executor upon his father’s death.
    Welp, that explains everything.