Page 400 of 499 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400401402410450 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    First Venom was decent, me bruv.
    Watched it last night with my son. It's pretty enjoyable. No complaints.

We heard a sequel was coming out, and I didn't remember much from seeing the original with him when it was new. He wanted to see the original as a refresher before the sequel and so did I. It was my first modern Marvel movie with a Stan Lee cameo and the comic book opening graphics they stole from the 1980 Flash Gordon movie.

And, minutes ago, we just bought tickets online (what?) to see the sequel Saturday afternoon.

For any who haven't seen speedpimp's favorite movie, here's the "Marvel-esque" opening.

While looking for that, I found this. Old news to most of you guys, I'm sure, but there are still several I haven't seen yet.

George, dude, I dislike Flash Gordon with a serious passion. Haven't seen it in almost forty years and I never want to see it again.

Yeah, I remember you saying the recently when I mentioned watching it again after a very long time.

[Foghorn Leghorn]It, I say, it was a joke, son!

Foundation.

Really not sure about this one, I hope they are going to pivot the "magic" into "science" soon. Because to me, the Asimov Foundation books were at least at the start, about mathematics and the fall of the Roman Empire (only set in space). But now they have mysterious ghosts (?), a character who has some way of reading individual coin toss results, and a carpet chewing emperor (as compared to the books which barely touched on the individual emperors, really it was all about a dying empire seen from a vast distance).

Having never read the Asimov series, I am unburdened. So on its own right now, I quite like it

Yup, watching without reading will be a very different experience!

My son just finished a collection of short stories by Isaac Asimov called 9 Tomorrows that he found on my paperback book shelf. This morning at breakfast he asked me if I have "the trilogy." I don't, but you can bet we'll be buying it soon.

He must have looked up Asimov online to learn about the Foundation series, or maybe his friends are school are talking about it if it's a TV series now. For a kid who I thought wasn't going to be a reader, unlike his sister, he sure has become a bookworm all of a sudden.

Yeah, I know this is the Watching thread and not the Reading thread, but I thought of the conversation above when he asked for more Asimov.

And in other Watching & Reading crossovers, this weekend I was watching The Simpsons with my daughter. Bart had to present a book review in class about Treasure Island. He obviously hadn't read it and improvised a bunch of silliness. When the show was over, I went downstairs and brought up my father's hardback copy of that book, printed in 1949, and told her the answer to Mrs. Krabappel's question was Long John Silver. She grabbed it and disappeared into her room, but not before asking if we could put the book jacket somewhere safe since it's so old.

I had previously tried reading that book to my son when he was younger as a bedtime story, but he said it was too violent. Maybe he's ready for it now.

Sorry for all this boasting, but I'm really proud that my kids are reading books and don't always have phones in front of their faces.

Oh, and back on topic, my son and I saw the new Venom movie in the theatre this weekend. There were two other pairs of fathers & sons there and that was all. I thought the movie was great, and by that I mean the entire theatre experience, having not been inside one in a long time. I'm sure the movie can be picked apart by film critics, but we liked it.

As usual with Marvel movies (or at least most I've seen), when the credits start rolling...

Spoiler:

...keep watching.

Last edited by George; October 12th, 2021 at 07:40 AM.

FWIW, a part of my childhood was the already-old-then Robert Newton Long John Silver series. You know, the origin of pirate-talking.

I have some DVDs of it.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    saw the new "The Batman" trailer....people seemed to love it, but to me it's just another Batman movie trailer...seems to re-tread things done already.

Only Murders in the Building.

First season completed. Knocked it out of the park I reckon.