Page 207 of 499 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Anybody else get around to watching Bright?

Simplistic and sorely lacking in any lore-building of the world -- but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Yeah, I kinda wanted more on the world, but I do like that they just throw you into this world, and you find out as you go all of the things that exist in it. I like the Centaur policemen.

I imagined it as the Lord of The Ring world a few millennia later.

Yeah some cringey dialogue ("Magic Wand"), awkward moments of honesty ala' Suicide Squad, and the simplified monobloc ethnicities ("Humans", "Elves", "Orcs" etc) without distinction are all weak points.

But people are really liking it, hell I like it even as a guy who really wants the deep dive into world-building and lore.

Looking forward to hopefully more lore and fleshing out the world in the now-greenlit sequel.

Yeah, I watched it last night.

Struck me as a mash up of Lethal Weapon and Underworld.

It was an okay movie. Will Smith isn't exactly pushing out the boat much on his acting chops. Very much Will Smith playing the Will Smith Action Role [tm] and not an iota more than that.

What I don't really get it why everyone wanted the magic wand if it seems obvious that it would just blow them up. Like let them all have it until no one's left.

They can still be "handled" (via gloves or bags) by the vast majority of people and then ransomed off to (most likely Elven) Brights.

I didn't really think of ransoming. Obviously they can't use them, but Poison talked about walking again. Maybe ransom them off with requests for the bright to use on them? Why on earth (or whatever planet it is) they would think the bright would comply instead of just vaporizing them though...

Maybe it's not widely known that not anyone can use them.

True, true -- the only way Poison would get 100% whole is via a Wish. Maybe he thought that his Altamira homies would back his play on a Bright?

Spoiler:
    Not that his crew helped Poison out very much in the end against the Inferni coven leader Leilah... #gakk
    Last edited by novicius; December 29th, 2017 at 04:52 AM.

I liked Bright. I expected it to be a bit more unhinged ala Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency or I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore, but it wasn't. A sequel is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I didn't really think of ransoming. Obviously they can't use them, but Poison talked about walking again. Maybe ransom them off with requests for the bright to use on them? Why on earth (or whatever planet it is) they would think the bright would comply instead of just vaporizing them though...

Maybe it's not widely known that not anyone can use them.
    I don't know how spoiler-y it is, but just for safety:

Spoiler:
    I believe it might be an allegory of things like the lottery, or any of the other ways that people in poverty think they'll be able to jump into the upper class, which is why so many in some demographics vote against their own needs, because they view themselves as one miracle or lucky break from being one of the haves. Will they, or any of their people, be a bright? Probably not. But they're also not going to win the lottery, or make it in the NFL, or etc etc. Just, in this case, they're willing to die (and/or have others die for them) to find out. Makes it very visceral.

The fact that the magic wands don't seem to work just by granting wishes by speaking to them in anything other than Elvish, so even if one of them could wield it, they couldn't use it, is probably just part of not understanding the lore. Maybe magic wands are known to have existed, but are so rare that the stories about them have all been twisted and mistold.
    Get that weak shit off my track