Page 174 of 503 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 5026

Thread: What are you watching?

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years

Directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman is still going strong as it heads into its seventh week.

The movie, grossing $371.3 million through Tuesday, is now assured of topping out at $390 million or more domestically, becoming the No. 8 comic book adaptation of all time, not accounting for inflation. And it will soon pass up Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($385.8 million) in North America to become the top summer earner.

That also means Wonder Woman will earn roughly 3.8 times the $103.3 million it collected when it launched over the June 2-4 weekend — the best multiple for the genre in decades. Currently, the film's multiple is 3.6, slightly ahead of the first Spider-Man in 2002. The first Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was also a word-of-mouth sensation, sporting a 3.5 multiple, while Nolan's sequel, The Dark Knight (2008), powered to a 3.4 multiple.

Generally speaking, a multiple in the vicinity of 2.5 to 3 is considered a win for a superhero film, particularly if the opening is especially mighty, i.e., north of $120 million.

"It feels like Wonder Woman will play all the way through August," says Warners' Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution. "Right now, the movie is still in about 3,000 locations. Usually, the theater count would be a fraction of that at this point."

The critically acclaimed film is also destined to become the studio's third-biggest movie domestically after The Dark Knight ($534.9 million) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million), again not accounting for inflation. It is about to pass up the final Harry Potter film ($381 million) after eclipsing American Sniper ($350.1 million) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million).
    Nevertheless, she persisted.

I Love Dick on Amazon. Kevin Bacon as a rich guy in a small Texas town full of people studying at his institute.

Winter is Coming!

Winter is downloading!

Winter is sitting on my DVR, waiting for me to come.

GOT new episode delivered.

Fiancée and I have been lingering on the final season of Parks and Rec forever. Just finished it last night. Maaaaaannnn. What a good show.

Yep, just threw it on last night to watch with the wife. Parks & Rec is one of our all-time faves.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Is it truly that good that you're gonna see it three times?

I've been avoiding it...but maybe I should check it out.
    As stated, I went yesterday during the afternoon (non-matinee) to watch Wonder Woman again. I should have taken a picture of the theater attendance, seemed like it was at least 2/3rds full.

The late night showing of War for the Planet of the Apes wasn't nearly as full -- and that was opening night! Good flick and heartening to see some of Matt Reeves' direction before he works his vision on The Batman.

EDIT: At this point, if fanboys are crying for Logan to get a Best Picture nod, I demand to see Wonder Woman get nominated too.

Aha! Ok so WW is potentially in the mix for 2018 Best Picture!
    Last edited by novicius; July 17th, 2017 at 07:31 AM.

I find myself seeing very few movies in theaters these days, and feeling a bit guilty about it. I basically only check out Star Wars/Trek and Superhero flicks in theater, and everything else I buy the blu ray for. But I know studios don't often create sequels on BD sales, and well... theaters probably can't stay open with BD sales either.