Page 225 of 499 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    hahaha

You're not wrong, but you took that opinion from Moist which makes your plagiarism complaints humorous.
    What? I happen to agree with a movie review that I duly shared on FB... duh, sounds pretty obvious to me! And I actually don't agree totally with Moist: I didn't find the Oasis alluring almost at all. Beautiful, colourful, incredible, but I didn't care much about the idea of experiencing that for real.

Kinda random, but I love Supereyepatchwolf's little mini-docs on youtube, and he just released this one on Pro Wrestling, both American and Puroreso. For those of you who don't "get" or enjoy Pro Wrestling, this is made for you, and I highly recommend watching, it's informative and entertaining.

Whether you've read the book or not, I cannot recommend AMC's The Terror mini-series enough. The historical accuracy is authentic, and the atmosphere and the dread, the WRONGNESS of the whole thing just feels fantastic. Horror done right.

Plus Jared Harris and Ciarán Hinds are fucking awesome.

Yeah, the wife and I have watched the first four or so episodes. Enjoying it a lot so far.
    I basically had to watch it given that it stars a murderer's row of my favorite UK character actors.
    I'd watch Jared Harris read a phonebook, or ayn rand.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I don't have a great deal of free time to watch TV and see movies these days, so I tend to like everything I see lately. That reminds me of when I used to see Siskel & Ebert review movies on TV. They'd always point out the bad things about movies and a much younger me thought, "How can you not like this? It's a movie, and movies are fun!"

Ready Player One was no exception. I saw it this weekend with my son and I've continued to think about it long after I've left the theatre. A co-worker who opinions I've come to trust told me about the book a couple years ago and on his recommendation (and my son's urging, since he had seen a trailer or five), I was really looking forward to it.

I've never seen the Willy Wonka movies (tried the original on TV once or twice but it was too darn weird for me) as mentioned previously in this thread, so I didn't think it was particularly derivative of anything else. Sure, it was a bit predictable at times, but on the whole I thought it was a good story. It was an enjoyable escape from real life for a couple hours. Despite all the fancy graphics, at times it reminded me of other classic sci-fi movies set in a dark future - Rollerball, Logan's Run, Escape From New York, Running Man, etc.

Two minor gripes about the movie (and one of these is a spoiler; the other a mere opinion) follow.

Spoiler:
    1. The '80s songs. The background score was fine, but all except maybe one of the '80s tunes they used were cheesy pop crap, especially the final song as the credits ran. What a horrible choice for an ending song! There was some good music in the '80s, but you'd never know it from this movie.

2. The credits. If any movie warranted an "Easter egg" during or at the end of the credits, it was this one. They could have done something.

Next week I'm taking my daughter to see a different movie. She had no interest in Ready Player One but is stoked to see Rampage.

I've bought the RPO Score and the RPO "Music from" Soundtrack and both were unremarkable, particularly the tracks the chosen for the 'music from' album.

Loved the movie though. Fell asleep rewatching it again in my hotel room last night.

I watched Ice Guardians, a documentary about enforcers in hockey and the need to keep them in the game, to keep it clean. I'm not sure I buy 100% of what they're saying, but they do make a compelling case.

never heard of it, but it seems enforcers have been phased out after the '04-05 lockout* and have all but disappeared recently
    with the rulebook being enforced, replays and the department of player safety I don't see the need for them in today's NHL

*can't believe I have to specify which lockout, fucking 1994 and 2012 lockouts! thank Bettman

They've been subtly legislated out, which was a good way of doing it.

Not being allowed to take your helmet off during a fight, coupled with the visor mandate, has gotten rid of a lot of the full on fights.

Getting rid of the two line pass and moving the blue lines closer to center really made those slow, less skilled guys become a liability. I think the modern game of hockey is too fast, and a consequence of that is you can't give a roster spot to a slug.