Page 101 of 499 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    So are EON going to be called racists if they don't hire him when there's some pressure to do so by people with an agenda?
    No. People with an agenda will always act with an agenda, but EON will not be labeled racist just for choosing a different actor.

The problem comes from people saying that Bond, or many other characters, CAN'T be black, and that only characters who are written specifically to be black, should be black.

The problem comes from people who see Hunger Games and see a little girl that is murdered, and, because she's black, say they can't feel any sadness. When they read the book, they pictured a little white girl (or the story might have said she was white, but it's basically irrelevant to the character, I forget the details), but since the girl in the movie was black, they couldn't feel sorry for her or any sadness when she was murdered. Yes, that was a thing that people admitted to on the internet.

They also complained about Lenny Kravitz's character being black, despite being apparently described in the book with tanned skin and an afro of thick, black hair.

The problem is with people that think that, unless a character is black, that character can't be black.

Here's one for you: Will Smith almost played Neo in The Matrix. He, like others when they were pitched the first movie, turned down the role because he didn't get it, or how they would pull it off.

Neo's race is never mentioned, never important to any element of the story, and there are other races represented throughout (though the bad guys are almost all white). Think about how many other characters for whom that is true. Think about how many more major movie or television series could plug in a talented non-white actor or actress without having to change a single thing. And then ask yourself why it hasn't been done more.
    Get that weak shit off my track

For what is worth, Bond could be an afro woman, called Jamie "James" Bond and I couldn't care less.
    Also, people have an agenda? Who. the. fuck. cares.
    If you care that much... do not watch the movie.

And the Ghostbusters example is pretty stupid as... 4 retarded comedians do a comedic movie about ghosts and supernatural, all of them coming out of that boring snorefest called Saturday Night Live (I swear, only you americans can laugh at that show, it's 3 year old lame humour, even at the times of James Belushi and his legendary skits): females, males... who cares, they were abysmal idiots all the same. In one case it seemingly worked, in another it dit not (allegedly, I have not seen the new movie). Gender or race has fuck all nothing to do with it.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Maybe Willow Smith should play the young Han Solo in the prequel

All the buzz around Elba has had nothing to do with him being black, and being PC or whatever, just about him being a British badass and a good actor.

It's only really been the backlash that's talked about race.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    The problem comes from people who see Hunger Games and see a little girl that is murdered, and, because she's black, say they can't feel any sadness. When they read the book, they pictured a little white girl (or the story might have said she was white, but it's basically irrelevant to the character, I forget the details), but since the girl in the movie was black, they couldn't feel sorry for her or any sadness when she was murdered. Yes, that was a thing that people admitted to on the internet.
    Man, I'd completely forgotten about that. What a damned clusterfuck. Never wanted to punch so many people in the face in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    All the buzz around Elba has had nothing to do with him being black, and being PC or whatever, just about him being a British badass and a good actor.

It's only really been the backlash that's talked about race.
    Blacklash?

I'll get my coat ...

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    And I'm not saying Idris Elba is too old, but if the studios are trying to hitch their wagon to someone for a decade or more, and the nature of the series is going for bigger physical stunts and close-combat fights, you'd think they'd skew younger in their goal.
    He's still a few years younger than Roger Moore was when he started, though admittedly, Moore always seemed too old for the role. I always preferred Connery, who retired from the role younger than Moore started it (Moore is three years older than Connery). Bond should ideally be in his early 30's to early 40's; old enough to have a lot of experience but young enough to still kick ass. Craig's a bit old for the role now. If they want someone to do a decade's worth of films, that person should start in the early 30's part of that range. Elba could be good for a film or two but it's kind of weird when Bond is in his 50's, as Moore showed.

I'm not against a black guy playing Bond, though I feel it probably should be a British actor. There seems to be plenty of black British actors.

Watching "Hail Caesar".

How does this crap get made?

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Maybe Willow Smith should play the young Han Solo in the prequel
    "I don't have a realistic response, so I'll come up with an over-the-top example that has obvious logical flaws which differentiate it from the discussion."

James Bond = character that has been in 20+ films, portrayed by 6 actors (in the official ones)

Han Solo = character that has been in 3 films, portrayed by 1 actor
    Get that weak shit off my track

Where to Invade Next.