Page 325 of 501 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 5008

Thread: What are you watching?

1. I'm about halfway through The Irishman on Netflix but stopped because I think my wife would love it. Hope to find the time to watch it with her.

In addition to the obvious movies that it reminds me of, in a few places it has made me think of...

Spoiler:
    ...Forrest Gump, as we see the years go by.

2. Saw Jumanji - The Next Level yesterday with my daughter. We enjoyed the first one (well, the first NEW one) together and we liked the second one as well. I can't remember the last time I saw either Devito or Glover in a movie theatre - it might have been in the 1980s (Twins and Lethal Weapon come to mind).

As a parent, I cringed at all the unnecessary cursing. I keep forgetting PG-13 means frequent profanity, and I don't understand why. Take out all the "bad words", change nothing else, and it would have been just as good. Better, even. Still, it is a fun movie. I don't think I've seen the original with Robin Williams since the 1990s but would like to sometime.

We are hoping for another sequel. Jumanji - Level III, maybe.

3. I finally finished The Hateful Eight on Netflix, which I started a while back and have watched in five or six installments.

Spoiler:
    While I'm glad I've seen it, I didn't like that one as much as some other Tarantino films. It seemed unnecessarily gory, even by Tarantino standards. I don't know what draws me to his movies...maybe it's the hope that the good in them will overcome the uncomfortable parts.

Whenever the actor who played Oswaldo (the British chap) spoke, I imagined that Tarantino had tried to get Christoph Waltz for that role and couldn't, so he instructed the guy playing Oswaldo to speak just like Waltz would. The two actors even look somewhat similar. Anyone else notice that?

I also thought some of the dialogue was too modern for the time in which this movie was set, but maybe that's a Tarantino thing. Or maybe my imagination again...

Had a funny thought while enjoying Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson acting together: both are known for playing characters with eyepatches in more than one movie. You can't say that about too many other actors that I can think of. Did John Wayne or Jeff Bridges wear them more than once? Anyone else?

EDITED TO ADD, after something slowly crept into my memory after posting: John Wayne appeared as Rooster Cogburn in two movies, so he's tied with Russell, until someone who knows more than I sets the record straight.

Still looking forward to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, however. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Last edited by George; December 16th, 2019 at 03:00 PM.

Oswaldo is Tim Roth. He's been in a few QT movies. He has a series called Tin Star on Prime that is excellent but gets a bit dark.

Saw Jumanji Next Level yesterday and really liked it. Pretty sure the only swearing was Jack Black dropping a couple "God damns".

Pit a snake vs a rooster and who would win?

You bringing up True Grit made me think of Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart, which has Robert Duvall in a few scenes and that makes me want to imagine that as being the same character he played in Tender Mercies.

The Irishman is amazing.

The one movie I am really anticipating is Uncut Gems, which is Adam Sandler as a jeweler with a serious gambling problem. If it sucks I guess you could call it Unhappy Gilmore.

Had to pause Irashman halfway through as well. Not because it was bad. I just needed to go to the bathroom, shave, experience my 30's, etc.

that movie is long as fuck.

But it doesn't seem that long, that is how well it is paced. It took me two sittings to finish it as well. I've seen movies half as long as that and they seem twice as long. Nothing is worse than a short movie that drags on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

Had a funny thought while enjoying Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson acting together: both are known for playing characters with eyepatches in more than one movie. You can't say that about too many other actors that I can think of. Did John Wayne or Jeff Bridges wear them more than once? Anyone else?
    Robert Wagner.

Oh, and I finished Watchmen series on HBO. Truly, a great show. So good I don't think I want another season.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp
    Saw Jumanji Next Level yesterday and really liked it. Pretty sure the only swearing was Jack Black dropping a couple "God damns".
    By way of explanation and not argument:

First, I'm neither a prude nor particularly religious, but I try to set a good example for my children when they're around. I don't always succeed, but I try.

Second, it wasn't a couple nor a few but several times, and spoken by...

Spoiler:
    ...one of the "good guys" in the movie - a college freshmen (Fridge - through his avatar at the time) in the presence of a friend's grandfather and the grandfather's friend, and at least one girl/woman his own age. Others may have said it and other things also - I didn't keep a scorecard.

To me, that word is one of the most offensive curses. It not only declares the speaker's indifference (at best) to the god of his own society, but also to the listeners' deities, assuming they have any.

I understand cursing with "the guys" - at work, playing sports, at the bar, whatever... I've said it, and I'm sure I'll let it slip out again when I'm truly pissed off. Profanity has it's place, for sure. Samuel L. Jackson is one of my favorite actors, and he's practically made a career out of creative and passionate profanity - I'm reminded of the 2019 Shaft movie I watched on a plane recently. Every other word in that movie sounded like sailors on shore leave. .

But, I say it has no place in a scripted family movie. I say this as a father trying to have a nice afternoon outing with his daughter. Hearing that word thrown around frequently normalizes a strong curse word and tells kids it's okay to use that kind of language in front of women and one's elders. I think it's yet another symptom of our crumbling society.

I'm not on a crusade about this. If I weren't a parent, I probably wouldn't even have noticed. But I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    Robert Wagner.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Wikipedia says he played that character three times. If he wore the patch in all three, I guess that puts him in second place behind Nick Fury.

Edited to add - I thought it was Sergeant Fury, but Wikipedia says he's a Colonel now. And that reminds me I need to catch up on the MCU movies.
    Last edited by George; December 17th, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Watched Never Saw It Coming, a Canadian thriller. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Unbelievably stupid plot that is horribly acted, for the most part. The only name that caught my attention was Eric Roberts, who I admire a great deal. But he was barely in it. 83 minutes I will never get back.

Weird Science was on last night, I caught the last half-hour. Brought back memories of my childhood. I have this movie on VHS but no VCR to play it on.

Looking at the cast list, Robert Downey Jr. is the only relevant actor left out of the bunch. Of course we know Bill Paxton died a couple of years ago.

Witcher...fucking awesome.