Page 345 of 499 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395445 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 4989

Thread: What are you watching?

Hamilton
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Hamilton
    Das ist gud!

I finally got to see "Baby Driver". Damn good movie! Loved it.

Catching up on Suits, such a great show. Spent the last few weeks watching seasons 1-6, which I already saw a few years ago, but that was the furthest I’d ever went. Three seasons left. Today I enter uncharted territory as I start season 7.

Finished watching Suits. It was a long journey getting through nine seasons. Maybe I’ll revisit it one day. One of the best legal dramas you could watch. Highly recommended to all.

I just learned today that there’s a Korean knockoff of this show as well, also named Suits.

The Cold Blue

Back in 1943, William Wyler went over to Europe to film a documentary of the Memphis Belle. He took footage at the base but also had 3 separate film crews go up in some of the B-17s during their bombing runs. The documentary released during the war was "The Memphis Belle: The Story of the Flying Fortress."

Back in the present, all versions of this documentary film are now scratched/cut to hell over time and barely viewable. Cue Erik Nelson who wanted to restore it. He heard that all of the original footage were in the archives... never opened. Instead of just redoing the original documentary frame by frame using this pristine film, he also found a ton of other footage that never made it into the documentary. He took all the raw (color!) footage straight to 4k and made his own film. I cannot express to you how real it looks. It's almost seems fake. Like it was shot yesterday on modern equipment.

The archival footage has no audio, so Nelson stepped up the authenticity effort even more. He tracked down the handful of B-17 bombers that remain in flying condition, and used modern sound equipment to capture their exact sound. The film's narration is taken from interviews with the few surviving veterans of the 8th Air Force.

It's really quite moving to experience what happened in the skies over Europe in WW2 as if you were there. It's on HBO and worth a watch.

^ I would love to see that! I also hope to see They Shall Not Grow Old.

Watching the final season (8) of Homeland. Just started. This should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    The Cold Blue

Back in 1943, William Wyler went over to Europe to film a documentary of the Memphis Belle. He took footage at the base but also had 3 separate film crews go up in some of the B-17s during their bombing runs. The documentary released during the war was "The Memphis Belle: The Story of the Flying Fortress."

Back in the present, all versions of this documentary film are now scratched/cut to hell over time and barely viewable. Cue Erik Nelson who wanted to restore it. He heard that all of the original footage were in the archives... never opened. Instead of just redoing the original documentary frame by frame using this pristine film, he also found a ton of other footage that never made it into the documentary. He took all the raw (color!) footage straight to 4k and made his own film. I cannot express to you how real it looks. It's almost seems fake. Like it was shot yesterday on modern equipment.

The archival footage has no audio, so Nelson stepped up the authenticity effort even more. He tracked down the handful of B-17 bombers that remain in flying condition, and used modern sound equipment to capture their exact sound. The film's narration is taken from interviews with the few surviving veterans of the 8th Air Force.

It's really quite moving to experience what happened in the skies over Europe in WW2 as if you were there. It's on HBO and worth a watch.
    Jeeze okay, from your suggestion I watched this.

Fascinating / depressing.

There is a really great documentary on Netflix called " Five Came Back". The summary from Netflix: "Five acclaimed contemporary directors tell the story of five legendary Hollywood filmmakers who enlisted in the armed forces to document World War II."

William Wyler and the making of The Cold Blue is part of the show, along with the other great filmmakers and the movies they made during the war as well. And then how that influenced their making of films after the war.

Highly recommend it. Plus Netflix has all the movies they made during the war available to watch.

This new version of The Cold Blue has me intrigued. Might have to pick up HBO to watch it.
    Last edited by Phil_SS; July 20th, 2020 at 09:25 AM.