Page 397 of 501 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399407447497 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,970 of 5001

Thread: What are you watching?

My daughter has been enjoying The Simpsons reruns lately. My son watches occasionally, but he doesn't seem to be as into it as she is. There's a cable channel that plays reruns all the time and they're also on one of the streaming services. My wife and I have been drawn to the TV like moths to a flame whenever it's on lately. We loved that show for many years and have been enjoying some good laughs, reminders of how inappropriate some of the stuff on that show was then and still is today, and also having some nostalgic sadness about how much time has passed, such as seeing Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz again and realizing Phil Hartman has been gone for 23 years.

Recently we saw the episode with the neighborhood garage sale that introduced Disco Stu and had Homer on a table singing "Hey big spender, buy this blender!" and other sales pitches set to the tune of "Stayin' Alive". I thought that one was about as funny as it got, but then the next four or five episodes we saw (not necessarily in order) were just as good, if not better. What a great show that was...and maybe still is, but somewhere along the way, we just stopped tuning in on Sunday evenings at 7:00. It was probably when we became parents and some things we used to have time for kind of got shoved aside. In some ways, we have never recovered, and having tons of leisure time to watch TV is one of those things that changed along the way. No regrets; just making an observation.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the Simpsons episode in which they parody the Planet Of The Apes and realized the kids haven't seen that movie yet. I saw it on TV when I was about their age and I had no idea about the ending, so I got the full impact of it as the movie makers intended. I wanted them to have that same experience before they read about it on the internet, so we watched Planet Of The Apes from 1968 this weekend.

My son loved it and wants to see more. My daughter enjoyed it also, but afterwards she said she figured out the ending long before the movie was over. And I believe her; she's smart as a chimp!

I still have the box set of the first five Apes movies my wife gave me many years ago. However, they're on VHS and I'm not sure if I can even connect our VCR to an HDTV, but we can always get them elsewhere. I do remember the second movie well - Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, which is about as...

Spoiler:
    dark and depressing
    ...as a movie can get.

And that brings us to today's movie trivia question. I haven't searched for answers but did think of one and then one more just as I was about to post this reply.

What other movies end the same way as Beneath The Planet Of The Apes from 1970 does?

It occurs to me as I write this that I'm asking for spoilers. Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't. Anyway, my answers are below.

Spoiler:

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Finally, have do you guys have any comments on the more recent Apes movies? Are they worth the time to watch? I saw the first remake when it came out but I remember almost nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    New What If?

Jeez these guys are really reaching now…
    Yeah, they were going for a very specific genre, and they hit all the tropes pretty well I think.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    watched Shang-Chi...really enjoyed it. As a mostly uneducated wsterner's perspective it FELT like a lot of authentic Chinese stuff in it. Fight scenes were glorious...had some very similar vibes to "Hero" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in parts.

A few surprises and would watch it again just for the fight scenes

Saw Schumacher. Pretty good stuff.

I watched Higher Learning over the weekend. Nice blast from the past. This version I saw had an extended love scene with Jennifer Connelly and Kristy Swanson. I used to have this movie on VHS and don't recall their intimate scene being more than just a kiss. The movie is generally well acted, but has way too many social issues that are crammed together. Sadly, all those issues are still relevant today, and some have even gotten worse.

Looking forward to watching Doctor Sleep this evening. I fear I might be building up my expectations a bit too high, as sequels generally suck. But this one is actually rated highly, and I already love the subject matter.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    We just started watching Vikings. Think we're only 5-6 episodes in. I heard "it's like GoT, with Vikings, but no dragons", I'll call BS on that, as I've not see a single titty yet.

I watched Schumacher on Sunday. It was profoundly sad. Especially when I was explaining to her what the significance was of the highlighted races/dates. Particularly, when "May 1, 1994 - Imola" came onto the screen....

I see ads for Vikings on Facebook all the time. Maybe I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I've not see a single titty yet.

I caught a little bit of two episodes of Muhammad Ali by Ken Burns the last two nights on PBS.

The episodes can be streamed for free at the link below.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/muhammad-ali/

Yeah, just watched Schumacher yesterday morning, pretty decent, a downer though, but still pretty good. That, and some rare ESPN recent coverage of F1 makes me want to get up early Sunday morning to watch the Russian GP.

Vikings was fantastic but it was on History channel. Lots of gore but no real serious nudity that I remember. Great show though.