Page 99 of 499 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

That... wut... I don't even...

MR2 Fan, you are coming dangerously close to saying something Dockonomical.

By the way, when people talk about subtle or institutionalized racism, that's what they're talking about. The idea that something has to be made specifically for a black person in order for it to make sense for a black person to be right for it or like it.

You don't need a "black" version of things. You need to understand that black people are not that different from white people, we just get treated a whole lot differently because of it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    But when you're writing your own stories (or stealing/repurposing your own stories/fables, depending on who you ask), you get to make whatever story you want. The idea that a story has to be about a black person, but any old story can have white people, is part of the problem.

Name for me a single Disney story set in a fantasy land where it doesn't work if the characters are black, and tell me why.
    Mulan, Pocahontas, Brave....of course those aren't strictly "fantasy land" stories, but they're designed around the common culture of Chinese, Native American and Irish.

I was just saying the same thing should be done with Black (or African-American) princess story if they want it to be done properly, and I think they succeeded when they did come out with The Princess and the Frog.

Edit: I'm just saying they don't need to shoehorn someone into a story that's black just to appease some people, then completely ignore another race in the circumstance where it SHOULD be based on that race, but that's how hollywood seems to operate.
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; May 19th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Here's a useful article about what I mean:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/opinio...n-actors-yang/

Count me in as an Idris Elba fan and 100% on board with change in Bond. I think they've well established Bond is a position and not a person, so they can throw a disabled native American female veteran in there and I'd go for it. However, for that reason, I'm a little hung up on the age thing. It seems like Bond is a prestigious position, the thing you attain after a lifetime of work. Seems like Bond kinda has to be an older guy based on what they've established thus far. Seems like a really physical old Bond is exactly right for that universe. I can't quite wrap my head around why that's a problem - there have been a lot of older badasses in movies these days... Hell, Red is one of my favorite movies! (But I might have a thing for Helen Mirren with a giant gun. Maybe.)

I would like to hereby co-sign everything kchrpm has said in this conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    ...diversify for the sake of it (see Ghostbusters reboot)....
    Why are people so angry about the ghostbusters thing? Diversity for the sake of it doesn't make any sense. Much more likely, someone at the studio saw bridesmaids and its success and said, "Hey, we could probably make some money with another female-centric comedy." And seriously, it's not like its going to "ruin" ghostbusters. If that were possible, it already happened in 1989 with the sequel.
    Is it just because it's not aimed specifically at you?
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    I would like to hereby co-sign everything kchrpm has said in this conversation.
    Agreed!

fwiw.. i'm really tired of Hollywood remakes/reboots. They're doing a new Jumanji film with The Rock, Jack Black and Kevin Hart. why?

Idris Elba would make an awesome Bond. I believe every character I've seen him play has been a bad ass in one way or another.

I don't see MR2s point as being Dockonomical. Are you saying he's wrong for wanting a black Disney Princess to have a unique story rather than just remaking a current one and swapping the characters skin colors?

No, I am saying he's on his way to saying something so stupid he can't live it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Mulan, Pocahontas, Brave....of course those aren't strictly "fantasy land" stories, but they're designed around the common culture of Chinese, Native American and Irish.
    Those are stories about real people/cultures/situations, where the culture clash is important, as opposed to Cinderella, Snow White, Frozen, etc. So yes, keep the cultures.

But when no specific culture is mentioned or important to the story, why must the characters be white? Why is white the default, and anything other than white must be justified?
    Get that weak shit off my track