Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 drive tray won't open.

Xbox 360 drive tray won't open.

My Xbox's drive tray will not open. Thankfully, there's no game in there. I've had this issue for years, but turning the machine on its side or upright usually alleviated the problem. Now, it won't open at all despite repeated attempts. Subsequently, I can only play games of which I have digital copies. Suggestion about what I can do here?

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. It wouldn't be the first time.

A long time ago, Macs and maybe PCs too came with a tiny hole near the floppy drive. You could straighten out a paper clip and gently insert it into the hole as a manual "eject" button to get your disc out of the drive.

I just remembered we have an Xbox 360 (I've yet to play it) and just went and studied the front panel.

Nevermind...

Microsoft recommends the straightened paper clip:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...lly-eject-disc

Our old Xbox (1, not ONE) had this thing, and I found the best trick was to gently push against the tray as it tried to open. This made it somehow "catch", or however you would explain it.

Junior Potato
    Submerge the console in water. Fixes all problems permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500 View Post
    Microsoft recommends the straightened paper clip:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...lly-eject-disc
    Yep, this!

And you can always just leave the paperclip by the console and make it your eject button. Just be sure the console is off before you do it or you can severely damage the mechanism!

Administrator
    Like they mentioned, if you take off the faceplate there is a place where you can push a paperclip in to force the eject. I'm having a similar issue too, it struggles to open sometimes. I wonder how hard it is to just swap it out for another DVDROM drive.

It is hard. You have to remarry the drive to the xbox. These days, it's probably easier & cheaper to just buy a used x360.

Sincerely hoping I don't have to do this anytime soon.

OK, I must have a freak console or something. I removed the face plate to access the paper-clip hole. Alas, there's a solid piece of metal blocking the paper-clip from going in more than a few millimetres. I also examined the top of the console and tried the paper-clip in a few places there with no success. I had a good look with a flashlight and tried the paper-clip in every hole and crevasse. There appears to be no way of getting the tray open that I can deduce. Looks like I'll have to open the thing up if I can.

I had a similar issue with mine when I bought rocksmith. There is a rubber band that actually connects the motor to the tray. Search for it in YouTube and you'll find several on how to fix it.