Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading?

Really enjoyed "Atlantic" by Simon Winchester and on the lookout for more from him with no luck so far.

Went through a couple other histories lately - one was a tale of the WWII Western Front from D-Day to VE Day. Not great, but good. "The Guns At Last Light" by Rick Atkinson.

This one was very enjoyable: Junius & Albert's Adventures In The Confederacy" by Peter Carlson. It's the tale of two reporters from the abolitionist New York Tribune newspaper who are captured and are sent to Confederate POW camps. Don't get me wrong - tales of prison camps aren't "enjoyable", but the story is very good and well-written.

Being limited to what's on the shelf at a library when I arrive, I can't always stay with an interest book after book as I would have with my recent WWI and Simon Winchester fetishes, so I'm back to an old reliable source of entertainment: Lee Child. I'm currently listening to "Tripwire", the third Jack Reacher novel.

"Tripwire" might be the best Reacher novel I've read, er...heard yet. Excellent.

Currently reading "Stutter No More" by Dr. Martin F. Schwartz, which is available for free in PDF form via Google search. The good doctor discovers the physical cause of stuttering, and discusses some treatments and techniques for those desiring to overcome this insidious disability.

I'm one of those people...38-years-old and a life-long stutterer. I can tell you that at times it becomes frustrating and even debilitating, and the anger toward it all-consuming. I always thought it would go away on its own by the time I reached my twenties, or thirties at the latest, but it hasn't.

I hope I can finish this book. I tend to drop a lot of self-help books that I read right in the middle, as they can get boring and tedious. Especially when I hit parts where I have to do some sort of work. Hopefully I'll stick with this to the end, and actually try to apply what I'm learning.

Followed up the excellent "Tripwire" with another Reacher novel: "The Enemy". Also one of the better Reacher novels, IMO.

Then on to Grisham's "The Partner" which is pretty good but standard Grisham fare. I like Grisham but his writing is pretty tame compared to the gore and grit of a Reacher novel.

Swinging back to history instead of fiction as I often do, I'm ready to start "Between Man And Beast: An Unlikley Explorer, The Evolution Debates, And The African Adventure That Took The Victorian World By Storm" by Monte Reel. Was the best bet this morning at the library.

I had to get an emissions test this morning and stopped into the library near by office at about five minutes to nine and figured I'd wait for them to open, which I did.

I was surprised to see a mob of people waiting in line to rush into the library as soon as someone unlocked the door. I had no idea libraries were that busy at 9:00 AM.

finished Look me in the Eyes by John Elder Robinson. pretty insightful book imo.

reading the most recent Game of Thrones book currently.

I'm reading an excellent biography of Catherine the Great.

Why?

Because the *gorgeous* consultant I've been working with who was raised in Poland until she was 11 lent it to me, and I want to make sure I can talk about it with her when we go out for drinks next week.

Have I missed the boat, but weren't you married / seriously attached? Apologies if I've missed a life change that I shouldn't be reminding you about ...

Dating is just dating, Leon.

Yes, I was married. Long story short:

- Wife wanted me to get a job where I'd not be traveling anymore (been doing it for 7 years)
    - I got a job that eliminated the travel, but it was in SoCal
    - Wife refused to move to SoCal
    - Since I made nearly all the money in the relationship, having her support us in PA was not an option
    - I moved to California
    - She didn't
    - We got divorced
    - ???
    - Profit

There were other factors at play, but that's all the stuff that really matters.

Picked up the James Herriot books from the library. Been a while since I read them--very fun.
    Whoomah!