Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading?

I have a 14hr drive back to Pittsburgh next weekend, hopefully I'll remember to look at this for entertainment. Thanks.

On the way up here I happened to flip on the FM radio and hit scan; landed on an episode of "Our Miss Brooks" that was quite entertaining. Got to my hotel before it ended though, sadly.

Hope you get a chance to hear it. I've only been waiting ten years for someone to compare the two works with.

I need to go listen to it again myself. I wonder if I'll think the same about it now as I did back then.

Downloaded the episode for my trip tomorrow.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Talbot Odyssey - Nelson DeMille.

All about a Russian attack on the USA, based in New York City. At least that's what i'm getting from it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Downloaded the episode for my trip tomorrow.
    Neat. I really hope you enjoy it, but I'm quite certain after all this hype that you will be completely underwhelmed. That's usually how these things work.

As for me, I was delighted to stumble upon the latest Walt Longmire audio book at the library yesterday - "The Western Star", from 2017.

If anyone here watched the Longmire TV series on A&E and then Netflix, you may remember most episodes were of the "mystery of the week" variety, but there was always some bigger, darker problem going on that we got glimpses of from time to time, and we knew Walt would eventually have to deal with these.

The books, while plenty different from the TV series in many ways, are no different in that regard. Some big trouble started brewing around the third book in the series and has been mentioned a bit here and there in subsequent books. Then, in the second-to-latest book, I think, or maybe the one prior to that, A Really Big Thing happened and the author has kept us uneasily in suspense ever since. The back of the audio book cover hints that this might be the time for the big showdown, but is that just another teaser to keep people reading this book, and the next one, and the one after that? Time will tell, but I'll keep reading (listening) as long as Craig Johnson keeps writing these excellent mysteries.

Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs. Really good for a first novel. Good pacing and it knew when to quit. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a Southern Gothic fix.

I just finished my first Robert Crais audiobook - "The Watchman", with recurring characters Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. Standard tough guy(s) crime-mystery, but a good one.

Right now I'm listening to "The Job" by Steve Osborne - non-fiction. He was a New York City cop for twenty years, and this is a collection of his stories about living that life. What makes this audiobook so good is that it's read by the author in his thick NYC accent, so it's somehow more believable and entertaining than if some actor had read it. Very entertaining and somehow lighthearted, despite being about serious stuff.

Those Crais books are pretty decent. I fell off of reading them for some reason after The Sentry, though. A glance at his wiki indicates he hasn't published much since then, so maybe I'll check them out after I get more time. If you like those, I'd recommend the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. I'd steer away from his stand alone books - they left a bad taste in my mouth for a variety of reasons.

For my reading in the field this summer, I'm plowing through the Hap and Leonard books by Joe R. Lansdale. They're very funny and full of a lot of heart. They made a tv series out of them which is on netflix, and also highly recommended - the casting is amazing.
    -Formerly Stabulator

"Chasing New Horizons"

Documentary book, about the New Horizons mission to Pluto.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Interested in prophet Jeremiah, any reccos?
    acket.