Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What are we reading?

That is way back.
    In hono[u]r of his passing, I'm currently re-reading John leCarre's The Honourable Schoolboy, which is the middle book in his "Karla Trilogy" and the follow-up to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. He was one of the handful of truly great novelists of the past half-century, and kept putting out amazing books into his late 80s.
    -Formerly Stabulator

The Long Walk by Stephen King. I'm enjoying it so far considering I normally read physical therapy research papers and books as of lately.

My sister got me the novelized version of X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga for Christmas. It was a nice gesture but it was kind of overkill. I have read the comic many times, watched the cartoon and watched two movies based on it. I am all Dark Phoenixed out. I doubt I'll read it, will just put it on the shelf with the trade paperbacks.

I don't read many books anymore...paperback or ebook, as I've taken more of a preference to audiobooks. I'm a better listener than reader, I guess. It doesn't help that my eyesight is slowly deteriorating. Books about astral projection (especially by Robert Monroe), and other "forbidden" knowledge interest me greatly these days.
    Last edited by sandydandy; January 11th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.

For pleasure reading I do ebooks exclusively these days - I'm not sure if my eyesight has gotten worse, or if I'm just much more exhausted when I go to bed and have trouble focusing my eyes.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Gonna start reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Bought it a couple of days ago. Looks like a weird sci-fi thriller that could be turned into a movie.
    Started on this book again, for the third time. Last time I got 1/3 of the way through, but put it down for some reason. Now I picked it up again a few days ago and have already surpassed where I left off before.

It’s such an engrossing story and I find myself almost speeding through it. I guess either I’ve become a fast reader or novels in general are easier to read.

Did some digging and there’s no movie planned for this book, but instead a TV series on Apple TV. That’s probably the best way to go these days.

I’m almost halfway through the book now and look forward to wrapping it up in the next couple of days.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I'm in Book 11 of The Brothers Karamazov. Dostoevsky was a goddamn genius.
    acket.

The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever

In 1956, a casual bet between two millionaires eventually pitted two of the greatest golfers of the era -- Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan -- against top amateurs Harvie Ward and Ken Venturi.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, since there's a TV series inspired by it, arriving shortly.

Currently listening to this audiobook from the library: Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill by Candice Millard

I'm about halfway through it and it is very good. This author has written two other books about lesser-known (at least to me) history that I hope to find on audiobook as well.

And, realizing I don't much about the Boer War(s) or other African history, I've already found my next audiobook at Librivox.org: The River War - An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan by Winston S. Churchill, first published in 1899

I also need to watch the movie Zulu one of these days.

Administrator
    I'm reading The Storm Is upon Us: How QAnon Became a Movement, Cult, and Conspiracy Theory of Everything by Mike Rothschild. He's one of the better conspiracy theory researchers I've run across and it's a really interesting and pretty scary book about the movement and how quickly it's spread, especially during the pandemic.