Thread: Sunset Overdrive

Sunset Overdrive

This game has received rave reviews, and it's free to play this weekend! If I didn't have so many other games to play I'd definitely pick it up. It sounds like a crazy fun game!

Sunset Overdrive is the definition of the word “fun.” Insomniac has created something special here. The hilarious plot, unique gameplay, stunning art style and massive, explorable world translate to an unforgettable journey into Insomniac’s not-so-serious apocalypse.
    In developer Insomniac's world of Sunset Overdrive, it's not a typical post-apocalypse day unless you're grinding along the open city's railings, power lines and rooftops, bouncing off a truck hood, smacking a mutant with your special guitar that sends out a shockwave of miniature tornadoes and firing a gun that shoots electrified vinyl records, all while making clever wisecracks that shatter the fourth wall.

You may be familiar with the phrase "if X and Y had a baby, it would be Z." Sunset Overdrive is no one's baby; it is the act of metaphorical lovemaking itself, and it incorporates ideas, style and gameplay lifted from the likes of Jet Grind Radio, Saints Row The Third, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank and some guy named Cliff who just plain likes to party. And it is glorious, offering something for everyone.

I watched the trailers for it several times and while it looks interesting, it also looks like it would get old fast. I might check out free to play though - that's not bad at all!

Better than I thought, but fear of it being very repetitive. More study is called for.

I was so busy I didn't even get a chance. I downloaded it... But, by the time I was free Sunday night I completely forgot. Maybe I'll get it used on the cheap some day.

It was $40 on eBay for Black Friday I think. I picked it up and started playing it last night and this morning. It was a little slow going at first for me because it became quickly chaotic when I was still trying to get a grasp of the controls. But it's a lot of fun, and so far the weapons are creative and fun to use. Pretty game, neat environments, fun to play, and they have some neat features like Sunset TV, where the developers talk about updates, what to expect, and you can vote on upcoming content.

Neat.

Down to $35 on Rakuten. $5 more and I'll do it.