Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 F1 Season Compendium

Wow! I'd never guess they are 6s apart!

I like seeing more drifting in corners lately with the wider tires. Some of those slow motion power slide shots look cool.

A lot of the talk in Mexico was about being down on power, due to the altitude. But I thought that was pretty much moot with Turbos (and hybrids). Turbos that are operating on fuel limits, rather than boost as well. Wouldn't at least Mercedes and Ferrari be able to turn up the boost to compensate? Renault as well (maybe that's why the failures?). And Honda, given their turbo issues, maybe not.

Or is it less manifold pressure, and more cooling why they are down on power?

BTW, interesting note, my dad and I flew home from Austin at the same altitude as the Mexico City track (7000ft).
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; October 30th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    A lot of the talk in Mexico was about being down on power, due to the altitude. But I thought that was pretty much moot with Turbos (and hybrids). Turbos that are operating on fuel limits, rather than boost as well. Wouldn't at least Mercedes and Ferrari be able to turn up the boost to compensate? Renault as well (maybe that's why the failures?). And Honda, given their turbo issues, maybe not.

Or is it less manifold pressure, and more cooling why they are down on power?

BTW, interesting note, my dad and I flew home from Austin at the same altitude as the Mexico City track (7000ft).
    It's not quite so simple due to the fuel flow rate limit.

Well that's what I was thinking. They could easily turn up the boost on the Turbos, but they are limited by fuel. (No boost limit in rules). So if you decrease ambient pressure, can't they turn up the boost, so that absolute manifold pressure is the same as sea level, and thus, use the same fuel? Wouldn't the only limiting factors be the turbo and hot-side piping?

I expected Mercedes to have a bit of a larger advantage because they seem to have the most robust setup, and Mercedes to be even further behind given their Turbo seems to be a weak point of the PU. But the opposite seemed to happen.

Renaults failures make sense to me, but not so much their performance.

Do Drag/Downforce ratios not get affected linearly in thinner air? McLaren and Red Bull didn't seem to have the straight line problems as much as at other courses, but their downforce advantage seemed to hold up.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; October 30th, 2017 at 06:55 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Wow! I'd never guess they are 6s apart!
    Agreed, that's pretty damn close

And how much faster were F1 cars this year in Mexico? ~3 seconds? Probably about half that gap is just in the new specs.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; October 30th, 2017 at 10:03 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    looks like last year's qualifying was 1:19 to 1:21 for F1:

https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-resul...-1-grand-prix/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    So that 33 guy again...

When he starts putting up results just let me know
    Ask Kubica about that time he won when all the good drivers took themselves out.

Or Danica, for that matter.

COTA was a more impressive drive than Mexico.