Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Nah, cos it was near the end of a month long stay i felt worse. And the most recent time we stayed in the South Island of NZ and drove around.

Travel can put strain on your body... not sleep well, not eat as well, break routine.
    That can knock you about. Certainly if you fly and change timezones then jetlag also kicks in.

And if you do fell unwell, you probably notice it more! Even if it wasnt related to travel, its easy for people to associate one change with an unrelated outcome.

Lori and I took a long week-end camping trip up to Pennsylvania and back. A fellow woodworker I know via Instagram gave me a bandsaw. We drove from Warren, PA all the way home yesterday. Sorry Pitts peeps, no time to stop and say hi.

Ibiza soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Sorry Pitts peeps, no time to stop and say hi.
    I had the same thought a couple months ago while driving through Columbia to catch a flight out of Charlotte. I was with my son and he had me using Siri on my iPhone for directions (which I almost never do). Now, I've driven through Columbia more times that I can remember and I still know how to change interstates to get where I need to go. Well, Siri had us exit the interstate and go downtown. Why, I don't know, but we had plenty of time and I thought maybe it was directing us around construction or an accident. My son didn't want to hear about how I knew better than a smart phone. Kids these days...

We got off the highway and came up over a bridge and came upon the Cola City Bike Co-op on one side of the street and Maurice's BBQ on the other (I used to love that SC-style BBQ!). I figured that might be the co-op you've mentioned before in the cycling thread, and I wished I had the time to visit a famous garage in the area, if tourists are even welcome - I've heard the owner is a grumpy old cuss.

And, since this is the travel thread, let's talk about roadside eats. My son loves to eat at the counter at Waffle House. We have one in our area and we go there now and then on weekend mornings to refill our cholesterol tanks. I'm not a fan - in fact, I call it the Awful House. He was surprised to see a Waffle House at almost every interstate exit in populated areas, and at least once (in Augusta, GA) we saw Waffle Houses on both sides of the highway. They were a few hundred yards apart from each other! I thought only Subway and Starbucks did that. And those Waffle Houses aren't new, but I guess when I lived in the South I never paid much attention to them. They were awful then, too.

Anyone here ever heard of the Waffle House Index as it relates to weather? Well, now you have.
    Last edited by George; August 20th, 2019 at 08:02 AM.

No worries, it's not really on the way from Warren anyway unless you were to divert around and take I-79 for some reason. Hope you had a good time.

I wore nothing expensive and emptied my pockets so they couldn’t possibly pick anything... we even took the subway there to get to places and eventually used it to get back to the airport. So our visit to Barcelona felt pretty safe and pleasant.

I think staying alert and don’t wear anything too flashy probably helped. Or perhaps they thought I might know kongfu? Or most likely they just target the seniors or women?

The fastest way home from Warren is SW to the 80>79>19>77, so yeah, we passed through Pittsburgh; 11 hour drive that day.

Friends are always welcome in the Garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I wore nothing expensive and emptied my pockets so they couldn’t possibly pick anything... we even took the subway there to get to places and eventually used it to get back to the airport. So our visit to Barcelona felt pretty safe and pleasant.

I think staying alert and don’t wear anything too flashy probably helped. Or perhaps they thought I might know kongfu? Or most likely they just target the seniors or women?
    You probably didn't look like a likely target, and got lucky.