Page 290 of 433 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340390 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Dude, why are you so angry?

Chill man. Whether that come home or not… die in India or not, why do we Americans need to be so angry about that?

Those folks already fucked themselves, do you really need to tell them to get fucked? Chill man. Applaud Aussie leadership for making the right call is fine, but I really don’t see the need to be so angry at those stuck at india. If you’re just angry at me for my opinion, feel free to tell me to go fuck myself.

I don’t see why you need to tell them…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 17th, 2021 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Bra fucking vo Straya.

Sucks if you're Australian and are in India trying to get out and get home, but, seriously, the fuck were you waiting for?
    Some had gone over to help sick family. We do have a large percentage of our population that are Australian, but their parents are not.
    And we have had a number of quirks - like children who travelled with grandparents who are not citizens. The kids arent allowed to travel alone (a covid rule) and the parents are not allowed to leave the country. Other had jobs that ended or other reasons to not return to Australia immediately.

The thing that annoys me is that we have these rules and are trying to keep people here safe, but the last few covid outbreaks all seem to have come from rich people who were allowed to bypass the quarantine system.
    Our last outbreak was from "mr bbq", a guy who went into several bbq stores. Sounds like the most aussie thing ever - go buy a bbq on the weekend. Well it turns out he wasnt just buying a bbq, he was buying the chain of bbq stores!!!
    And officials said they are looking for the missing link between him and a case that is in quarantine. Well... supposedly a very powerful US businessman came here and ended up in medical quarantine with covid. This man has dealings with mr bbq. Its extremely likely (but not confirmed) that the US guy was granted a home quarantine, met with mr bbq, then developed symptoms got tested and quarantined. Mr bbq also was very quick to get tested, probably because he knew he had met with someone who had covid.
    All very shady and the public were kept in the dark about some "missing link", which meant we had restrictions for a week. It seems all the while someone up higher must have known the connection and the story.
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...9f3a9da64c5193

So while I generally agree with our hard stand on border controls, we could relax some things for people in tough situations (separated families) and toughen it on other things (rich, famous getting excemptions)

Yes, rules are definitely important, but we also need not forget grace and mercy.

Junior Potato
    I still like that fact that we can trace outbreaks to individual people and their potential business activities. Like a forensic microstudy of how the economy shapes the spread of infectious diseases.

Let's be very careful about how we repatriate citizens overseas and keep it that way. We have the ability to balance compassion against the risk posed to the greater population. Many other countries don't have this luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I still like that fact that we can trace outbreaks to individual people and their potential business activities. Like a forensic microstudy of how the economy shapes the spread of infectious diseases.
    But at the same time, the last 2 Sydney outbreaks have been "source unknown".
    I suspect its known but hushed up, possibly to protect the privacy of the people, but more likely as a political butt protecting.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    but more likely as a political butt protecting.
    Oh yeah, definitely. Like how that boat last March allegedly had close friends of government MPs on holiday. As it was then, it still is now.

Well... supposedly a very powerful US businessman came here and ended up in medical quarantine with covid. This man has dealings with mr bbq. Its extremely likely (but not confirmed) that the US guy was granted a home quarantine, met with mr bbq, then developed symptoms got tested and quarantined. Mr bbq also was very quick to get tested, probably because he knew he had met with someone who had covid.
    Oh what the fuck? I did not know this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    This, and we need to keep it that way.

I wasn't a fan of the border closure with India - seemed unhumanitarian (if that's a thing) - but at least now there's a way back if you're free of Covid ... although I'm not sure how effective it is in practice if you're trying to get home.
    Last edited by G'day Mate; May 17th, 2021 at 10:05 PM.

Some had gone over to help sick family. We do have a large percentage of our population that are Australian, but their parents are not.
    And we have had a number of quirks - like children who travelled with grandparents who are not citizens. The kids arent allowed to travel alone (a covid rule) and the parents are not allowed to leave the country. Other had jobs that ended or other reasons to not return to Australia immediately.

The thing that annoys me is that we have these rules and are trying to keep people here safe, but the last few covid outbreaks all seem to have come from rich people who were allowed to bypass the quarantine system.
    Our last outbreak was from "mr bbq", a guy who went into several bbq stores. Sounds like the most aussie thing ever - go buy a bbq on the weekend. Well it turns out he wasnt just buying a bbq, he was buying the chain of bbq stores!!!
    And officials said they are looking for the missing link between him and a case that is in quarantine. Well... supposedly a very powerful US businessman came here and ended up in medical quarantine with covid. This man has dealings with mr bbq. Its extremely likely (but not confirmed) that the US guy was granted a home quarantine, met with mr bbq, then developed symptoms got tested and quarantined. Mr bbq also was very quick to get tested, probably because he knew he had met with someone who had covid.
    All very shady and the public were kept in the dark about some "missing link", which meant we had restrictions for a week. It seems all the while someone up higher must have known the connection and the story.
    https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...9f3a9da64c5193

So while I generally agree with our hard stand on border controls, we could relax some things for people in tough situations (separated families) and toughen it on other things (rich, famous getting excemptions)
    I hadn't even thought about those. In my mind it was all hippies living on the cheap in India at their kaballahs and what nots, with a few cricket players thrown in.

I still applaud the strong stance of the government, but can moderate my "they fucked around and found out" to damn, that sucks.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/17/gov-gr...xas-reopening/

Texas governor is now boasting how he lifted mask mandate early back in March and they ended up with 0 covid death since then!

I guess now is the time to boast. Wait any longer, he might lose the opportunity to... Also, it's not like all Texans threw their masks away.

I wonder if our current state in the US is probably as good as it'll get? Hopefully a bit better when even kids can have vaccines.

If we have enough vaccines for all who want one globally... (chances are, not everyone would want one) and then we'll just live with Covid as if it's the flu I guess.

Lastly, we really need a thorough investigation for the origin of this virus. If it's indeed lab leaked, at least US needs to stop funding this research! Not in the US, and not outside of US. Not on the moon nor Mars. Just stop funding coronavirus research. Even if it's not lab leaked, what benefits did we get out of the coronavirus research so far? Did it help us come up with vaccines faster? Is that why US came up with the most effective vaccines ahead of everyone else?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 18th, 2021 at 10:11 AM.

Administrator
    Okay, don't get mad, Billi, but here goes.

They did not "end up with 0 covid death since then." They just had their first day, Sunday, with zero covid deaths. According to the Texas Department of State Health services, they have had 3,605 deaths since the beginning of March 2021. It's mostly that they had a day with zero deaths from covid for the first time since March 14th of 2020. If you feel like perusing the data yourself, this is a link to an excel spreadsheet on their website, it looks like it's slightly out of date, despite saying it was updated on the 17th, it's missing data from the 13th forward: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/T...CountData.xlsx

The current state in the US is continuing to trend in the correct direction, albeit more slowly. That of course doesn't mean it can't get worse again, but as of right now, it's still getting better. But you're right, it's likely to end up like the flu is as long as enough people get vaccinated. I'm sure you heard that in LA county the public health department expects to get to herd immunity by the end of July, that'll likely be when we start to see things hit the point of "as good as it'll get."

Lastly, I know Rand Paul claims that we were funding gain-of-function research on Coronaviruses, and I also know that he is incorrect. The NIH doesn't and hasn't done that. They did fund research into the novel coronavirus that caused Cov-SARS-v1 because it would be irresponsible not to. And yes, that sort of researched helped us more quickly identify this virus and make vaccines faster. Even barring the massive boost that was mRNA vaccines, the J&J one is a traditional attenuated virus vaccine that likely would not have come to market this quickly if it had not been for that research.