Page 2126 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 1126162620262076211621242125212621272128213621762226 ... LastLast
Results 21,251 to 21,260 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I consider myself progressive, but pragmatic, it has been frustrating being on the “side” of policy makers, working against folks who simply either want to make themselves wealthy, hurt people they don’t like, or “blow it all up”. Those slogans are way easier to push than nuanced policy details, and I have absolutely no solution for it. It sucks.
    All we can do is shout into the void and bring a light to the empty slogans.

Perfect being "the enemy of good" should never be an impediment to progress.

This is why I'm fast to shit can that talk. Progress is not overnight. It's a process. And there's *active* resistance to even the small baby steps of progress.

I don't really watch news.

Is the right wing taking points machine really in a fuss about brown babies getting baby formula?

What does that say about how pro life they are?

Administrator
    Yep. In another example of the outrage machine, people like Jesse Watters on Fox are calling kids "illegal babies" and Sean Hannity is showing pallets of powdered milk (labeled as not for kids under 1 year old) on his show and screaming that it's formula being kept from precious American babies.

You've also got Elise Stefanik, one of the higher ranked GOP members of the house, calling democrats "pedo grifters" while pretending to be outraged about the same thing.

The saddest part is that this outrage machine works. That, and a number of GOP people seem to be more than happy to incorporate QAnon ideas into their nonsense if it keeps their numbers up.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    That shit was medieval.
    Is Buffalo changing its name to Bubalina or Bonasus?

I mean, It's gotta affirm its place in Fifth century Christendom somehow.
    acket.

Administrator
    Pretty amazing. You've got someone on 4chan posting a manifesto about "The Great Replacement", echoing sentiments shared by people like Tucker Carlson, Matt Gaetz, Wendy Rogers, and Elise Stefanik, killing 10 people in Buffalo, and now those same people are claiming it's a false flag staged by the FBI to take away yer guns.

I honestly don't know how we come back from this. But, for anyone invested in seeing social media become more about unabridged free speech, 4chan is an excellent example of what comes of that.

I don’t think free speech is about justifying and planning to kill people. Nobody is for that kind of free speech.

The kind of free speech I want for people is to discuss rather than either shut people up or discharge firearms.

Regarding FBI, whether they staged it or failed at their job, I don’t know. Either way, it’s not good.

Administrator
    You don't know if they staged it?

Spoiler:

They didn't stage it. If you think they staged it, you have a serious case of internet brain worms.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I don't really watch news.

Is the right wing taking points machine really in a fuss about brown babies getting baby formula?

What does that say about how pro life they are?
    No they are claiming brown babies are stealing formula from white babies, when it's powdered milk "not to be consumed by children under 1 year old"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You don't know if they staged it?

Spoiler:

They didn't stage it. If you think they staged it, you have a serious case of internet brain worms.
    If they didn’t stage it, then FBI is seriously incompetent.

This is what I’m talking about regarding free speech, you can’t just claim something to be untrue without evidence. Similarly with the lab leak theory. All options have to be available and on the table until a thorough investigation is completed. There’s no need to prematurely shut anything down.

As with manifesto to murder people, I’m not suggesting we prematurely arrest and convict somebody, but social media and authorities should’ve put this guy on some sort of watch list. If we can predict when Putin will launch an attack, surely we could predict when a mass shooter is ready to kill as well? Especially when he posted his intention online?

I think you gave governments way too much credit sometimes. You still believe those who believe in the lab leak theory are nuts? It absolutely must be naturally occurring even though we have no evidence proving either way?

Allow for free speech and keep an opened mind. I don’t know if FBI staged it or perhaps they’re just incompetent. I don’t know if it’s naturally occurring or lab leaked, either way, it’s just not good. To fully investigate these things, we can’t shut anything down prematurely. If you have solid evidence to shut something down, I’ll listen.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 15th, 2022 at 02:39 PM.

Administrator
    No, FBI wasn't incompetent. We have very, very permissive free speech laws on purpose, so you don't get watched or surveilled or arrested for thought crimes. You're trying to have it both ways. You've often expressed that people should be innocent until proven guilty, but at the same time you want everyone potentially guilty until proven innocent. You want free speech, only then you repeatedly say you want restrictions on that speech, and the won't actually commit to what those restrictions are.

The lab leak thing is particularly poignant. Despite a lack of evidence that that's what it is, especially given the prevalence of zoonotic diseases making the leaps to humans over millennia, you literally seek out facts to support your theory rather than seeing where the evidence takes you. You have an answer you want - you're not interested in finding the truth, you're interested in finding what supports the truth you want. Then, you attack people who disagree with you, ascribing motives to them that they don't have to justify your stance.

You keep saying "allow for free speech", but you also say "I don’t think free speech is about justifying and planning to kill people. Nobody is for that kind of free speech." You need to pick one. Are you for free speech absolutism or are you for restrictions on speech? If the latter, what restrictions? Stop being wishy-washy and answer.

But I will say this: Think about what'd it take for the FBI to stage this. The entire store staff, everyone who was a customer there, all the police in the area, anybody who happened to be nearby, any journalists that made it there quickly, anybody who lost a loved one - they'd all need to be in on it. They'd all need to keep the secret. It's just like chemtrails and all the rest - it's hard to keep a secret between like 5 people, it's impossible at that scale. Even entertaining the thought that the FBI staged this is an insult to the people who died and 100% beyond the pale, and it honestly disgusts me that you'd entertain it. You are directly insulting innocent people who were killed.