Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The RV/Camping/Trailer Thread!

I haven't ruled out a trailer yet, but the only thing that is rolling across the playa is a truck. I've seen cars coming back and I'm not interested in one of mine being one of them.

I'm unsure whether I'd take the Suburban, or use my budget to buy both a trailer and a newer Suburban.

The advantage of a trailer of course is that storage pre- and post- is far less of a problem (like, not a problem). The disadvantage of a trailer is that IT'S NOT MY DREAM TO TOW A TRAILER, DAMMIT!

Never stand in the way of a man and his dream.

Exactly!

That said, I'd be really interested to hear about Tigeraid's refurb experience! What was done, how tough it was, etc. I am a man who likes options.

If you search around http://www.tnttt.com/ there's the occasional "standy" refurb. Mostly smaller trailers, though.

Here's a basketcase refurb: http://www.retrorestoration.com/56shasta.htm
    Whoomah!

I wonder how much something like this weighs....

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/4278578324.html

Get that weak shit off my track

That's not much more than a dual axle trailer and a Saab! The Suburban could definitely handle that - although we might be back to the 25mph up hills. Meh.

All that aluminum makes me happy.

It'll make your DA polisher happy.
    Whoomah!

It even has the original 1960s propane lamps! We don't use them though, cuz that would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Exactly!

That said, I'd be really interested to hear about Tigeraid's refurb experience! What was done, how tough it was, etc. I am a man who likes options.

Sucked. But not terribly expensive. It had minor water damage from a leaky roof, so we cut out all the affected paneling and replaced it. Just cheap shitty wood paneling, I forget what it's called now, same stuff they use on the back of things like TV and stereo wall units. Just used that and some 1x4 strips to hold it all together.

All the upholstery was shitty 1960s daisies, like in the before pics. Tara is a good seamstress, so she just sewed up new covers for everything. We leave the front bed "up" to use as the table and benches, with the inverter hidden underneath one (the water tank will go under the other.) The rear is a "couch" normally but we leave it down as a bed, with like 10" worth of the foam mattress inserts.

It had a real toilet. A real by-goddamn-toilet, porcelain, with a plunger and all. We took it out and just replaced it with a chemical toilet though. The fridge and heater both run on propane and both work, though the pilot light on the fridge takes forever.

My Dad sealed the roof with some sort of fancy roof-sealing paint--that's already starting to peel. Gotta do that over.

Since you ripped out the water toilet, I'm assuming there is no other plumbing? Or is there? I know I sound like I'm obsessed with toilets.