Page 1032 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 3253293298210221030103110321033103410421082113215322032 ... LastLast
Results 10,311 to 10,320 of 24733

Thread: Politics

And to keep Oz politics going, we are still having fallout from our dual citizenship debacle.
    Summary - rules say you can’t be in federal parliament if you are a citizen of another country.
    We have something like 25+% of our population born in another country, roughly half the population has one or both parents born in another country.
    So not surprisingly many people have dual citizenship “via descent”, from countries such as New Zealand, England, Italy.
    Turns out a number of our politicians had dual citizenship and didn’t know, they have now been kicked out.
    A few more have now been found that knew, applied to renounce their citizenship but the paperwork didn’t happen in time. These people might get kicked out.
    It’s a mess. We need by-elections for some positions, including one for my local seat. If these go against the govt they could lose power!
    It’s a complete mess, has made the politicians look stupid and lowered peoples already low respect for them.
    Also not something the govt needed at a time when it’s got a small hold on power and performing badly.

So I get to vote in a few weeks. The guy who got kicked out looks like recontesting (now he is actually eligible) and up against him will be an American born women who was a former premier of the state, Kristina Keneally. Oh just went to google her and got to “kris” and her name was top, ahead of Kristen Stewart and Bell.
    She still has a very noticible American accent, she came her after college. And yes she is a citizen and has renounced her US citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    So I get to vote in a few weeks. The guy who got kicked out looks like recontesting (now he is actually eligible) and up against him will be an American born women who was a former premier of the state, Kristina Keneally. Oh just went to google her and got to “kris” and her name was top, ahead of Kristen Stewart and Bell.
    She still has a very noticible American accent, she came her after college. And yes she is a citizen and has renounced her US citizenship.
    I just googled "kris" and the first suggestion was Krispy Kreme. How typical for America!

For those who don't know, it's a doughnut store: https://krispykreme.com/

Last edited by George; November 15th, 2017 at 03:00 PM.

Given Google's algorithms, I am not surprised that you both got different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    As Gday mentioned the same sex marriage survey got up.
    Now it’s legislation time. Big issue will be the “can bakers refuse to sell a cake”!
    It’s been a terrible exercise, waste of money from the govt and both sides. The politicians should have decided, that’s their job.
    What will be interesting is that the politician who is one of the strongest against SSM represents an area that had one of the highest results for SSM. Will be interesting if he votes according to his opinion or theirs! Anyway he is becoming a pain, was the previous prime minister and got ousted and now just seems to play games to annoy people.
    Your cake comment intrigues me.

How much do you think shifts in American Law affects your political culture? Like, are you following Masterpiece to see about how we handle baking gay cakes, or will you just figure it out on your own one day?

Quote Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
    Warren, Franken... I've grown to like Franken, just a no BS kind of guy.

Oops... Ok, not Al Franken then...

Can we take a moment to talk about the fact that the Republican controlled Congress just passed a humongous tax bill, one that guts all sorts of services, in less than TWO weeks, having held not a single solitary hearing about it?

And Donny is talking about "welfare reform" after that; basically that's dog whistle for medicaid and social security that you've paid for your entire working life. But use the word welfare and the mouth breathers who's political thoughts are decided for them and espoused on Faux News are quick to get riled.

I warned, right here, that they were really after social security, many moons ago. And they're patient.

Administrator
    The whole "not holding a hearing" thing seems to be their MO lately. They did that with every attempt at healthcare bills, and I remember there was some other horrible thing they tried to ram through too.

Much like the healthcare bills, I figured the house was a given. It's the senate where it needs to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The whole "not holding a hearing" thing seems to be their MO lately. They did that with every attempt at healthcare bills, and I remember there was some other horrible thing they tried to ram through too.

Much like the healthcare bills, I figured the house was a given. It's the senate where it needs to be stopped.
    The only positive I see with the election of Dondon is the mobilisation of the masses; people are getting involved, calling their representatives, questioning the motives of bills and the authors, etc.
    But, I know people who've already tired of being politically engaged and consistently outraged; they want to just check out and put it all on autopilot again. We waver, we falter, and shady shit flies under the radar, and suddenly we're a joke of our former selves, a third world nation. And it'll be embarassing; as if this predicament we're in, the so called greatest nation on earth and we don't have adequate healthcare for our citizens, isn't enough.