Page 125 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1385

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Nice. I probably should have checked sector times.

Well then I think Max could challenge for top spot next year

Should be good fun with LeClerc coming up.
    Last edited by JoeW; November 12th, 2018 at 06:08 AM.

I am one of the fanboi, but going back to Ocon, I don't feel that he did anything wrong... I think Max just cut him off a little too early and resulted in the clash... it's more of a racing incident I think..., but is there a rule saying that lapped cars should never try to race the leader to unlap itself?

Seeing as how the stewards gave Ocon the stiffest penalty available before race DQ, yes Ocon was at fault.

From all the info I have read you can certainly unlap yourself. But you should do it in the safest manner possible...especially do not attempt an outbrake maneuver going into a turn. If you feel you are being impeded by the lead driver then you should radio your team, who then contacts Charlie, who then tells the lead driver to move aside. But under no circumstances should Ocon have dove in there on the leader of the race. The lead driver should not have to check his mirrors for a backmarker to dive on him. And THEN, after Max had basically shut him out past turn 1, he definitely should not have continued to try and fight for turn 2.r

The lead driver really shouldn't have to worry about any threats from behind except the 2nd place driver.

And let the drama ensue...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Hamilton
    Of course you don’t want to cause an incident. But in those scenarios you give each other space. It’s as simple as that. It’s so simple to give each other space. You can never assume that the person is not up your inside because he’s a backmarker and he’s going to back off. You’ve got to assume, you’ve got to acknowledge the fact that he may be there so I’m going to leave extra space. Because actually he’s in a different race to me. That’s my opinion about it. So from my seat it felt like it wasn’t 100 percent one side.
    I, for one, welcome our new British-Grenadian overlord.
    acket.

I do agree with Lewis on what he said. Hope Max learned his lessons to not throw another race away like that.

However, given that Ocon's maneuver's biggest benefactor was Lewis Hamilton, he probably should've kept his mouth shut.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ocon was covertly ordered to slow Max down a bit so Lewis could catch up. It really didn't make sense for someone who's a lap down to race the leader.

So I suppose mission accomplished. Hopefully Mercedes remembers that and will reward such loyalty.

Anyway, it also made little sense to me for Max to not give any room and just assume the backmarker would choose to go off course rather than crashing into you...

Ocon got ahead of you in turn1, just let him go! If he ended up slowing you down on purpose, surely he'll be faced with a blue flag...

The stewards and race announcers (formers racers themselves) disagree.

I think the only ones who agree with you are Lewis, Ocon and Otmar.

There is no rule you shouldnt do it - but its been a fairly accepted practice in pretty much every motorsport.
    This was the worse case, the race result was affected by someone who wasnt involved with the pointy end.

While Max should take some responsibility Id say its 90% the lapped drivers fault - they should know better than to get involved.
    So they can unlap - so what? It will make a tiny difference to their race and coming second last instead of last.
    Get out of the way, stay out of the way.

That said Id give Max a race ban for the pushing afterwards - no matter what they do you shouldnt get physical with another driver. Thats a very bad look for the sport.

Ocon not being very apologetic probably further induced Max wanting to kick his ass...

As a fanboy, I’d rather not see a race ban. If a physical fight actual broke out, then maybe a race ban would be in order.

That it didnt escalate was because only one of them wanted to go on with it.
    The problem is you let this go and then next time its a bigger push or worse. I think you need to send a clear message. Maybe not a race ban - maybe a grid penalty, but I think it needs something, you shouldnt let that go without penalty.

Btw I just remembered the beginning of the race when the two Renault cars were side by side for almost the entire second lap until Sainz gave Hülkenberg and shove and locked his brakes. That was some good shit. I was on the edge of my seat for that one. Really just a great race overall.
    Last edited by JoeW; November 12th, 2018 at 03:26 PM.