Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a dog

I donated all of Levi's stuff (beds, blankets, dog dishes, leash, etc.) to the SPCA. They were happy to have it.

I am really sad. I am surprised at how much it has affected me, even more so than when my dad passed. I loved Levi more than I realized.

When I married my wife, she already had a cat for years... so he wasn't even MY cat to begin with. However, when he passed away, that made me sad for a while too. Pets have this amazing affect on people for some reason. We've lost 2 cats so far. With each passing, we'd create a little gem stone with their ashes or commission artists to create some drawings to remember them by... Since you're an artist yourself, maybe you can create something to remember Levi by?

Anyway, still very sorry for your loss.

Administrator
    I was reading an article a while back talking about how a lot of people are finding the loss of a pet to be the most difficult thing during Covid, and that hit home for me. I lost three relatives in three months in late 2020, including one of my favorite aunts, and I don't think any of those hit me as hard as Jezza's passing did, and still don't hit me as hard to this day. There were a bunch of theories about why that is that I don't remember off the top of my head, but I definitely hear what you're saying.

I felt bad about how devastated I was when Cadence passed. It was a few months into COVID. She had been there for just about every significant life event through my 20s and 30s. She was an integral part of my life and her sudden absence was profound for me.

Today, I am feeling guilt for killing my dog. This is going to hurt for a while.

Administrator
    If it's anything like what we went through, Jezza probably could have made it a few more weeks, but every single day would be worse than the one before it. It felt terrible to make the call when we did, but when I think about how she was struggling, and how it would have consistently gotten worse and worse for her, I know it was the right, gut-wrenching call.

I understand the guilt. But you know how much you love Levi, and you know you did everything you could to do right by him.

Our 1st cat, we probably felt we put him to sleep too prematurely, so we felt pretty much the same guilty feeling.

Our 2nd cat we probably made the mistake of putting her to sleep too late. She was really suffering, by the time we got her to the vet, she passed away and the vet.

So there’s never a perfect timing. Whether too early or too late, we can find reasons to blame ourselves.

So I take some comfort knowing that I did it out of love. Hopefully our pets will understand.

I normally keep the door to my office/studio mostly closed to keep the glare from the window in the adjacent room off my monitors. Levi would sometimes come visit simply by pushing the door open a little. This afternoon, I was sitting at my computer and the door creaked, as if it was pushed open a little. It freaked me out because Lori was at work. About five minutes later, I heard the distinctive noise of the doggie door flapping.

The logical side of me knows the wind was gusting outside and it was just the wind blowing on these things. The sentimental side thinks it was Levi visiting me one last time and exiting via the doggie door. I'm not a spiritual guy at all. Am I nuts for thinking that?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Do not look for explanations to feelings, they do not come from the rational bits in your body.
    acket.

Administrator
    I saw Jezza for months after she was gone. It's both a figment of our imagination, but also to me an important part of letting go. You know consciously they're not really there, but they're still a part of your everyday thoughts. It's another sign that Levi made your lives better, and you and Lori made Levi's life better.