Page 89 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

So when are we gonna see the full set of "Before" pics and hear the tale of the acquisition?

Or are you just enjoying all the guessing & vaguebooking?

You mean like the Southwind? Sure, but I don't think the MR-2 has a shower and a microwave. If it did, I'd totally get it.

ooooooohhhh, toys!

Ok I've had my fun. As much as I wish I'd stumbled on a dusty barn find TT Supra, this is my friend's car that I mentioned briefly a few weeks ago. She has had so many projects going on and the Supra has sat with a boost problem for too long. I offered to work on it and clean it up a bit. I figure fixing a Supra is likely the closest experience I'll have to owning one, so win-win.

First step today was to clean the engine bay. Working on a dirty engine is not my style.

Next will be some simple checks like ignition stuff. And checking the CEL of course.

Meanwhile I'll study the complex twin turbo system to understand its operation and start to narrow down the problem. There's a chance it could be something simple like a VSV.

Oh and there's a very audible electronic noise that matches engine RPM. Some kind of electrical interference or ground loop or something else I don't quite understand. Would love to eliminate that too. I'm hesitant to take apart any interior panels given the age of the car.

Oh oh, the boost gauge makes noise under boost. It was just installed for diagnostic purposes. There's a small kink in the line where it runs from the door jamb into the a-pillar pod. Not sure if related. The sound comes from the gauge itself. Cheap gauge or something else amiss?

With stock intake and exhaust, all you can hear when you drive this thing is the electronic buzzing and the rattly/fluttery boost gauge. What a strange experience.

Side note, how many other street cars have traction control and a throttle cable?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Sure, but I don't think the MR-2 has a shower and a microwave. If it did, I'd totally get it.
    This sounds like the makings of a TopGear/GrandTour episode in some far off country...

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Side note, how many other street cars have traction control and a throttle cable?
    IIRC, the Crown Victoria did.

Ok I've had my fun. As much as I wish I'd stumbled on a dusty barn find TT Supra, this is my friend's car that I mentioned briefly a few weeks ago. She has had so many projects going on and the Supra has sat with a boost problem for too long. I offered to work on it and clean it up a bit. I figure fixing a Supra is likely the closest experience I'll have to owning one, so win-win.
    Aww damn, I was hoping you were gonna take a Supra TT to Nationals and show people what time it (still) is! </3

*So* looking forward to the pics of everything!

My E36 did.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    IIRC, the Crown Victoria did.
    The SN95 M00stangs do too, FWIW.

Early traction control was just brakes, so any car with ABS could potentially have TCS. There was a company in... somewhere that made a module to plug into Bosch and ATE ABS systems to retrofit TCS. It was kinda cool.

Electronic throttle actuators were the game changer that made actual stability control possible. TCS is really limited to wheel spin, ESP et al is what helps with car spin.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    The SN95 M00stangs do too, FWIW.
    I was unaware they had TCS, as distinct from ABS.

That stretchy throttle cable is real, for sure.