Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Probably, but I sure don't want to have it sitting around the house for a year!

Old fuel disposed of, 7 gallons of good fuel in. Started right up. Smoked like a train as it burned off all of the ATF in the engine when I had it torn down.

Put everything together and added water.

Instant belt squeel from water pump.

Installed new water pump. Coolant line from cabin begins leaking.

Replace bad hose.

Thermostat begins leaking.

Take thermostat off. Inspect to make sure Everything installed correctly.

Make new gasket. Inspect mating surface. Someone helicoiled the thermostat housing bolt, and didn't get the coil all the way installed. Grabbed a severely used grinding disk ( less than 3mm around the bolt that holds it in), and lightly cleaned up the high point.

Reinstall thermostat. Still leaks.

I cuss.

Look at rear bolt where leak is coming from, and it isn't seated. But it is clearly bottomed out and torqued to spec.

I grab a washer and fix said leak.

Alternator begins squeeling and showing low voltage.

FML.

Run to parts store and get replacement.

Install replacement and change oil again. Starts right up and dies.

Give light throttle in cab an it runs.

Drive Jeep 3 miles round trip to parts store to get my core for the alternator, and return a shitty compression tester.

Next order of business is the electric fan and the lack of idle. I'm betting fuel pump or fuel filter.

Hoss.

Those tires look dangerous. Should probably invest in a new set sooner rather than later. How's the trans?
    Last edited by novicius; July 25th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.

That is my experience with Jessica's ZJ over the course of three years. Fix this, that's broken. It was infuriating. Hey, like the KJ CRD.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Hoss.

Those tires look dangerous. Should probably invest in a new set sooner rather than later. How's the trans?
    The front tires, which have been rotated to the back, are bald. Rears have 12/33 tread.

I already have a replacement for the bald tires.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    That is my experience with Jessica's ZJ over the course of three years. Fix this, that's broken. It was infuriating. Hey, like the KJ CRD.
    I'm 99% certain most of this is from former neglect, sitting for 6+ months in the midwest, being owned by a teenager with no mechanical ability, and poor dissasembly practices.

We shall see what happens from here on out.

Haha - that's almost the same story with Jay's. Except I think rather than sitting for six months it got stuck at an offroad park and the parents took it away after a very expensive tow bill came to the house.

First order of business was to get it to idle correctly. That starts with taking the idle air controller out and cleaning it carefully.

Before I took it out I found this in it.IMG_0353.jpg

That's mouse nest feeds DIRECTLY into where the idle air controller controls the idle. This had completely plugged up the entire assembly.

I pulled the throttle body off, took off the IAC, removed the fluff, and reassembled everything. Started right up and idled at 760rpm.

Next order of business was to figure out why a second electric fan was installed. The 5.9 has a low and high speed electric fan from the factory. We hook up ground to the fan motor, I supply 12 v from my power probe, and the electric fan spins to life.

We take the motor off the shroud to blow it out with air because of dirt, reassemble it, and put it in the Jeep. Back the Jeep outside and let it idle. It reaches operating temperature, and holds steady, engine eclipses 205 or so and fan kicks on. So the electric fan works and has no issues as we let it cycle 4 times. Coolant level doesn't budge. No leaks.

Hop in it and run to the parts store to pick up the next round of things. Transfer case, front and rear diff oil, and I make an order from rock auto for brake pads, wipers, oil pressure sending unit ( kid broke the on on the engine) and a new idler pulley among many other things.

I'll place an order for the steering gearbox stabilizer ,without it you will eat gearboxes.

First trip with it is August 12th.

P.s. while we were at the parts store I climbed a 1.5foot wall for the hell of it. Started in 4 high, the rear diff lsd was moving the back end around, so it works, I kicked it into 4lo, and it crawled right over the wall.

Things are looking good.

https://youtu.be/UfpV1StQvLA

I forgot to add this.

When does the roof-rack tent go on?