Page 24 of 144 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to?

Oh, Bikini Kill is on the list, which is nearly 300 entries at this point. That'll be fun, my partner has a historical distaste for women in rock music, although I think that's changed - he liked Last Splash quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see what he thinks of Bikini Kill and L7.

Also, I really wish Bowie would tour again with anybody. His last record was great, his best since scary monsters.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Also, I was never a fan of Oasis. By the time they got huge ('95) my musical tastes had shifted much more to the metal end of the spectrum, so I largely ignored them. "Oh, its those whiny-sounding brits again," etc.
    Like with several of the other things I've listened to for this (Metallica's self-titled album, Core by Stone Temple Pilots), I totally understand why they got popular. As a teenager, I did not and subsequently resented them and their fans for keeping "real music" from being successful.
    But as it turns out, Oasis wrote some damn well-crafted pop songs.

Sublime is different though - If you can listen to that record and think that its genuinely good when you're in your 30s, you're doing it wrong.
    -Formerly Stabulator

My 30s are so last month. And Sublime is still awesome - though probably not in any sort of traditional musical sense.

Oasis is still very bad. Derivative BS, and it hurts my brain that in a time full of musical revolution they got popular. If they got popular now or in the '80s, it'd make complete sense. It annoys me to no end that during a time of genuinely interesting music, they got slotted right into that genre and got popular. It's complete non-sequitur.

Of course, given how derivative the entire grunge movement was, and how many other types of good music got completely crushed in its path, maybe Oasis was what "we" needed to wake us up. My recollection is something like Violator -> Repeater -> Stone Nirvana in Chains. Generally.

Edit: Which isn't to say I was 100% opposed to grunge. I never much liked Nirvana, but STP (for example) is still totally rad.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Derivative BS, and it hurts my brain that in a time full of musical revolution they got popular. If they got popular now or in the '80s, it'd make complete sense. It annoys me to no end that during a time of genuinely interesting music, they got slotted right into that genre and got popular. It's complete non-sequitur.
    I would posit that "genuinely interesting music" and the "musical revolution" had about a 6-12 month window in '92-'93 to squeak into some sort of popularity, if they didn't make it by then - no chance, the "movement" got completely commodified.
    Also, Oasis is kind of a weird case, given that they came out of the UK market (which I don't even claim to understand at all) and were huge there way before they got big here. Therefore, I'd say Oasis was more of a marketing symptom than a root cause and subsequently can't be blamed for the musical environment of the moment.
    And yeah, they are totally 100% derivative - no human could sanely argue against that.

...but STP (for example) is still totally rad.
    On the show I actually equated STP to Boston. A super competent rock band that would have thrived within whatever the popular sound was no-matter when they came out.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    Also, Oasis is kind of a weird case, given that they came out of the UK market (which I don't even claim to understand at all) and were huge there way before they got big here. Therefore, I'd say Oasis was more of a marketing symptom than a root cause and subsequently can't be blamed for the musical environment of the moment.
    Maybe Oasis was retaliatory for us sending all our Seattlites overseas. Oasis was the least interesting of their Britpop peers, so of course it stands to reason they'd see the most commercial success. :facepalm:

On the show I actually equated STP to Boston. A super competent rock band that would have thrived within whatever the popular sound was no-matter when they came out.
    Hilarious! When we were driving back with the Focus I was listening to Purple and suddenly got the urge to hear More Than a Feeling. Can't even remember what driving music was like prior to 64gb flash drives. (Although I have a distinct recollection of recording Interstate Lovesong to a tape three times in a row. )

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered View Post
    It's still awesome even 30 years late.

Last edited by LHutton; August 15th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.

Maybe Oasis was retaliatory for us sending all our Seattlites overseas. Oasis was the least interesting of their Britpop peers, so of course it stands to reason they'd see the most commercial success. :facepalm:
    None of this is wrong.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Last edited by LHutton; August 18th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Have you not heard?

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar