Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SLM buys a flower shop van

Nice progress.

Thanks. It is not on par with your work, but it's functional and it looks better than bare metal walls with insulation.

Have you added any temperature insulation into the build? People usually find camper conversions #)$)#()#(ing freezing cold inside.

Yes, tons of it. I put Thinuslate under the floor from the back doors to the wheel wells (mostly just for sound deadening and condensation control) and then more Thinsulate on/in all the walls, doors, and ceiling. Pretty much the only place I didn't is in the front doors because I couldn't be bothered to pull off the panels to do it, and with the amount of water that gets into the front doors, it would probably be best to put something like closed cell foam board in there.

In the coldest parts of the winter, especially during parts of the build that happened mostly inside the van, I actually set up an electric space heater inside and I could get the inside temp to well over 60deg F (15C) in a few hours when the outside temp was at or below freezing. And the electric space heater is only 75% as powerful as the gasoline heater that I installed in the van.

1R0_0960.jpg

1R0_1028.jpg
    Last edited by Sad, little man; March 15th, 2021 at 06:36 AM.

Just now seeing this... very cool, something I've long wanted to do myself, excited for you to see it through to completion

Wow, very impressive work!

Did you design all this by yourself or are there are plans you could copy off of?

Btw, looks like you got insulation covered, however, you don’t plan on adding a Max fan for better ventilation?

This fan even has a rain cover so you could still use it during rain:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxx-Air...s&locale=en-US

Also, I’m assuming on hotter days you’ll just rely on A/C of the van?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 18th, 2021 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Just now seeing this... very cool, something I've long wanted to do myself, excited for you to see it through to completion
    Thanks, it's been a ton of work. I knew it would be a lot of work, and it's been even more work than I realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Wow, very impressive work!

Did you design all this by yourself or are there are plans you could copy off of?

Btw, looks like you got insulation covered, however, you don’t plan on adding a Max fan for better ventilation?

This fan even has a rain cover so you could still use it during rain:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxx-Air...s&locale=en-US

Also, I’m assuming on hotter days you’ll just rely on A/C of the van?
    I pretty much just made it all up as I went along. The basic concept of the slat bed that slides out to be a bed from a bench is not my idea, but that's about the only idea I didn't come up with. I threw some stuff together in Sketch Up just to kind of give myself an idea of how all the boards would fit together, but this is really as far as I went in that program, and the final build doesn't even fully match this.

I am planning to put in a roof fan. I haven't gotten there yet for a couple of reasons. First, I'm a little freaked out about cutting a hole in the roof. Second, the sealant that I need to use to seal it to the roof has a minimum curing temperature of 40 degrees, so I can't really do that until it's a little warmer and I can be sure that the temp will not dip below that overnight.

I am going to use the fanstastic fan instead of the Maxx air fan. I know everyone says the Maxx air fan is better, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't let in as much light as the fantastic fan. I got a totally clear cover for my fantastic fan. And yes I know it will get hotter with the sun, but I'll make a cover to go under it or something. I want the natural light. It seems like there is a Maxx air fan with a clear cover, but for some reason it only seems to be sold overseas. Maybe it's just less sunny there so it makes more sense to have the clear cover?

Second, I want to have the option of opening the fan fully and having it be genuinely open. The Maxx air fan is never really "open," it's just kind of open enough to let air flow through the vent.

Either way I think the opening in the roof is the same for either fan, so I think I could change it if I ever want to down the road.

camper.jpg

My RV trailer actually has a fantastic air fan with clear cover but I added an additional rain cover so it’s pretty dark now... luckily my shower has a sky light, so yeah, allowing light inside is probably a good idea.

Personally I like the more aerodynamic retractable shape of that Max air fan, my current cover looks pretty bulky. But oh well, dealer didn’t have it... plus, can’t worry too much about aerodrag while dragging a bulky trailer...

Anyway, again, really impressed by your design and building skills! Look fwd to seeing your finished van!

[edit] Just noticed my fantastic fan has a clear *blue* cover! The fan blades themselves are clear. With the rain cover over it, couldn't really tell without sufficient sunlight...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 19th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.

Cove... Lighting. More of this to come...

1R5_4821.jpg