Page 173 of 433 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Imagine the headlines in the western hemisphere media if similarly swift action were taken here...
    Lefty news sources fully support the measures taken by both Ardern and Vic Premier Dan Andrews.

Right-wing sources call them authoritarians and irresponsible economic vandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I really wonder what western media YW reads and what he thinks we read?
    I don't know what you read (although I'm sure it's not The Epoch Times) but I do look at CNN (more for the lulz), The Times of London, The Guardian, and the FT. There are also occasional opinion pieces ok The Verge. Sometimes I look at The Atlantic as this year it has provided much amusement. Certain NYT and WaPo pieces are also regularly circulated.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; August 11th, 2020 at 08:58 PM.

Administrator
    I don't usually read CNN outside of Daniel Dale ('cause he's amazing), I like the Guardian though maybe read an article from there every two weeks, don't read Times of London or FT. Verge is for tech/gaming only. Really like the Atlantic, and regularly read (and subscribe to) NYTimes and WaPo.

I definitely haven't gotten the vibe you talk about from the news sources I read. Maybe we're looking at different articles, and maybe I'm just less likely to notice it, but I'm not seeing the thing you keep referencing.

Sure. Some of it and the perception of how things are portrayed may also depend on the contrast between actual situation on the ground (of which people here are acutely aware but for obvious reasons you guys may not), as opposed to how it is or can be portrayed by certain segments of the media.

The Times I subscribe to mainly because of their Law section.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Do it.

Any chance of introducing their Rugby Union team to the risks of COVID....

When's the next Bledisloe Cup?
    Brilliant!

Ah, sorry, I also forgot to mention the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    DN, unless we test everyone, asymptomatic cases simply can’t be detected..., unless the person decided to get tested just for fun?

I suppose there are folks who’s immune system just doesn’t see the virus as a threat therefore developed no symptoms. Also, lots of transmissions took place before somebody developed symptoms...

This is why it’s so hard to contain.

Of all the nations that could contain this leak, NZ definitely is one of them. Fingers crossed.
    Asymptomatic people will spread it to people who show symptoms, so if the virus is around it will eventually show up. It's not plausible that there's an insidious undercurrent of asymptomatic spread in NZ.

We are learning more and more about this virus..., and I don’t think we’ve gotten to the bottom of it yet.

The good thing about this disease getting out of control in the US is that we can finally see how it really works. 40% of our cases are asymptomatic. Our prison population, probably because they have all the time to workout and be in good health, could be 96% asymptomatic...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...outputType=amp

Anyway, hopefully we can come up with a vaccine that could turn all of us asymptomatic and be able to just coexist with this damn virus...

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Hey man, life is never going to be easy. Nor frankly is it like a Hollywood movie or TV series. In real-life, stuff takes time and hard work to sort out and mistakes are made and dead-ends hit along the way. Just be realistic and take the view that we'll be in it for at least the medium-term (say 1-2 years), then get on with life as best as one can. Also remember that every country or region is different in terms of living etc. conditions and handles things differently, not just in terms of the govt but also its people. Even if there is a vaccine it will take a significant period before everyone relevant is inoculated, particularly when there are still the anti-vaccine nutters around.

With that said, one thing that is particularly important for everyone is to be careful and cynical of the "silver bullet"/"game changer" rubbish that certain politicians (somre more than others) seem to love spouting. Of course they'll spout it as they think it will help them sway public opinion and ensure they will be re-elected. It's particularly helpful for those whose administration's response has left something to be desired.
    I totally missed this post in reply to mine about despair. Yeah man you’re right about being realistic. I was feeling down after seeing the resurgence of the virus in Australia because I kind of looked to them as the standard of eradicating this shit, and it was disheartening to see them slip back into the jaws of this thing.

We in Canada (Ontario especially) are doing very well now, and seemingly have this under control. I’d say we’re at the point where Australia was three months ago. I dread a second wave and hope they keep the border closed with the US, but it’s going to be tough to keep it closed forever.

This week we’re debating whether or not to send our 13-year-old daughter back to school this fall for grade 8. Gotta make a decision soon. My son just graduated from high school in a year he felt was forgettable. I felt sorry for him because of what Covid did to his grade 12 year. He didn’t get to experience the whole going out of high school with a bang stuff. No prom, no nothing. What irked him the most was he didn’t get a chance to finish his mock trial, which he worked hard on for months to prepare for and perfect. It was cancelled outright because of the lockdown.

But life will go on. He’s starting university next month, and while most of it will be online there will still be an in-class element, which is good. I want him to experience a new world opening up to him, in the social aspect especially, so he can finally get his mind out of the high school mentality. All of this is of course only possible if Covid stays under control around here.

In the meantime I’m Googling Covid cure/vaccine almost daily to see if any progress has been made. Don’t know what to believe anymore.

Scientists. Believe scientists.